Review of Pearl House

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Pearl House

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pearl House" by Allen Daugherty.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pearl House told the story of Laura Tysing and her challenges in marriage with her husband, Jeff. It followed their journey and how they came to live in the 'Pearl House,' where it seemed that their lives ended.

Laura, an attorney, developed a connection with the 'Pearl House,' a house that seemed to have chosen her to live in it. The house presented the perfect ambiance she needed to sort through a trying time in her life. Little did she know that she was about to experience mysteries that would touch her in ways she never imagined.

Pearl House started as a regular love story but unsuspectingly introduced readers to mystery, suspense, and intrigue. The story's plot was presented creatively, as the author used prolepsis to give readers perspective properly. Allen Daugherty presented the theme of love and its power transcended time and even life. This gave the book an emotional curve that would likely draw out the reader's emotions and even a few tears. She used humor tactfully to provide relief.

As much as readers would find Laura's character endearing and smirk at Jeff's, it still felt like not many details went into character development. The author projected characters who lived and thought in a certain way. However, there was no background to help readers grasp why the characters were that way. In general, there seemed to be a spark missing with the characters, and as such, they might not be strong enough to make a lasting impression on readers. The 'Pearl House' itself had more character development than the rest of the players in the book.

It was clear from the book that Allen attempted to present witty and meaningful conversations between the characters. Still, most of them came off bland with no fire. The dialogues were not riveting and insightful and didn't present much excitement. This same blandness also showed in the supposed love story between Laura and Jeff. The initial stages of their love came off as though Allen was informing readers that the couple was in love but didn't show it.

Similar issues also arose in the setting of the book. Yes, Allen informed us the story played out in Charleston, West Virginia. However, we didn't get a feel of the story's environment, and the culture of the people was vague. Readers might even get a suspended feeling at some point because they didn't get enough details to be drawn into the story. There was also a plethora of errors observed from the book. It showed that the book would probably benefit from another round of editing.

Overall, readers of thrillers and crime books will appreciate the story of Pearl House. Unfortunately, I can only rate it two out of four stars.

Pearl House
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

It sounds like the premise of the book is a good one but the multiple errors and lack of character development would be a deal breaker for me as well. Thank you for the insightful review.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

This book seems promising to keep readers intrigued. Great review
Uzzy_Reviews
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel that has good potential but needs more work to develop properly. Maybe the author needs help from a professional editor. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book seems intriguing. The 'Pearl House' chose Laura. I would love to know how it did, and what secrets is this house hiding. Thanks for the great review.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I can't wait to unfold the pages of this one , especially after reading this amazing review! I'm pretty much sure that the plot would keep me glued up till the end. Looking forward to this one. Thanks for the review!^^
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

Creativity is important in the presentation of art. The book is intriguing and I would love to read it. Thanks for the review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

It's sad that such an amazing book got this poor rating. I hope the author puts it through another round of proofreading and editing. Honest review

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”