Review of The Devil in Dublin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of The Devil in Dublin

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Devil in Dublin" by Sean James McGinty.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sean James McGinty's The Devil in Dublin follows the life of Gene Seamus Kearney, a man driven by love and ready to make the ultimate sacrifice to achieve a noble cause. After Gene moves to Dublin with his wife and daughter, receiving an invite to a party at Michael and Sheila's home seems to be the break they are looking for to find acceptance in Ireland. Little does Gene know that the party invite will be the end of a life he has known and the beginning of one he has never imagined.

The Devil in Dublin is delivered in short chapters that are straight to the point with no dilly-dallying. The plot is relatively easy to follow, as the story seamlessly progresses from one step to another. The language is also quite simple and, as such, does not make for a difficult read.

One exciting thing about this book, which I am sure readers will find interesting, is how some chapters have a month tagged to them. These months have quirky descriptions that may even come off as funny. This humor, of course, is needed, considering the general sad backdrop of the book.

The characters in this book are surprisingly formidable. I believe that they constitute strong points of the book. Readers will learn from the characters that, with a bit of encouragement and the right set of loyal people, we all can be heroes.

The Devil in Dublin introduces us to the disturbing culture in Ireland. The streets of Dublin are overrun with drugs, drug dealers, and salary earners willing to part with their last to get these drugs. This book feels like an exposé on this occurrence. It also shows how this culture propagates violence and contributes to the overall degradation of society. There's also a pointer to the inefficiency of the Garda — the Irish police and judicial system.

Also brought to the fore in this book is the theme of racial discrimination. Discrimination based on the color of a person's skin has been with us for a long time. This book sheds light on this disgusting concept and how this hate has formed the basis of many misinformed movements. However, the book allows readers to make up their minds about this while subtly presenting Gene's position on the subject.

The book delivers suspense and intrigue from the beginning. Many plot twists will leave readers glued to their seats wondering, who is the devil in Dublin? Even more than the intrigue, readers will come away motivated by the main characters and the excerpts of knowledge in the book.

This book is recommended to all lovers of crime thrillers. The editing is well done, as there's only one minor error. Since this book has nothing worthy of dislike, I rate it four out of four stars.

The Devil in Dublin
View: on Bookshelves
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I love the fact that the book talk about situations that can happen in real life. I would love to read it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

The title got my attention, would love to know what happened to Gene when he was invited to the party. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting crime thriller that addresses a problem that's still far too common today such as racism. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”