Review of Shadow Game

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Review of Shadow Game

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shadow Game" by A.M. Adair.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shadow Game by A. M. Adair is a gripping and galvanizing thriller. It is the story of Elle, a CIA agent who gets an assignment on taking down significant members of Daesh, the ISIS itself. The job is classified and highly confidential, but Elle is a remarkably equipped agent to complete it successfully with her accomplished team. The entire storyline is nerve-wracking and built around a tense atmosphere which makes it incredibly appealing.

Elle gets her new mission report in Iraq to take down Daesh with Tex, her second in command, Jack, who handles all the minute details by accessing data on his computer setup and Eve, a proficient analyst. Elle pairs up with Tex to cover her field assignments, but she has certain control issues. She’s one of the best agents in her field who takes the lone wolf approach to finish most of her assignments, so it’s hard for her not to be in command and be deprived of having her way completely. This creates tension with her team, especially Tex. She struggles with trusting her team when she’s not in command. Her plan works out efficiently in most cases, but then fate sets her back a bit. That’s when the book becomes more captivating. The plot further explores if this setback ruins her entire mission or if she can make it through with her instincts, and that’s one tempestuous ride.

I liked everything about this book. All the characters are very likable. Elle’s character has been carefully constructed with many small yet significant details. A. M. Aidar at one point explores the emotional side of this tremendously trained agent which reflects her hidden depths of emotional state. Elle is a role model. She is empowering, independent and a mastermind. She’s an influential leader and sets an outstanding example for her teammates. Her training, instincts, and memory are so on point. Emotions like team spirit, team morale, friendship, solidarity and fellowship keep on appearing a lot and set a splendid example for relationships between teammates. Everyone in the team shares mutual respect and affection for each other, which was amazing to experience as a reader. My favorite parts were the one where Tex and Elle shared humorous interactions while teasing each other.

I only disliked the length of action scenes in the book. Even though they kept me at my edge and were amazing to get a thrill out of, I found them lengthy. They were in great detail, but, if they get slightly cut short, they’ll provide a way better experience.

I undoubtedly rate this book four out of four stars. It’s enthralling and appealing. It’s exceptionally well-edited. The characters are well-written, and its action-packed. The lead, Elle, is strong and driven. Elle is undeniably a pleasure to read.

I recommend this book to everyone and especially those who love suspenseful thrillers. If you’re into the CIA and secret agents, you will enjoy this book a lot. It keeps you hooked till the end. The strong female protagonist is also very refreshing to read, and people who want a good female protagonist can go for this book too.

Shadow Game
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”