Review of The Harlequin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Review of The Harlequin

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Harlequin" by D. B. Watson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Harlequin, by D. B. Watson, is a crime and thriller novel. Patrick Valdez, a young man, was the son of a billionaire, who alone owned the vast majority of Cargo City, and this made Patrick untouchable. Though his family members were aware of his sexual orientation, they didn't know about his secret adventures. Gavin, an art supply store owner, was in debt. To make money fast, he researched into Patrick and entered his life.

Afterwards, Gavin encouraged Patrick to perform in his private shows. One day, Patrick had a few drinks, and he took several inappropriate photos of him. Patrick wanted to quit their relationship, but Gavin threatened to sell the pictures if he didn't play along.

Meanwhile, Adam, a private detective, just bought a building, which he used as an office and a home. Gavin was his neighbor. One day, while driving to his building, he saw two persons fighting on a tree branch dangling over the gate of a memorial park. Then, he rescued Patrick from a masked man that just eliminated Gavin, while Gavin was taking advantage of Patrick again. Who was this masked assailant? Was he connected with Patrick, or he had his own personal motive?

The Harlequin is the first book of a series. It's comprehensible and interesting, ending in a satisfactory way. Its plot is solid, consisting of fascinating events. I never read a book involving gay relationships. Actually, I decided to read this one for a change, and I was wowed by the author's great storytelling skills. His narrative is smooth and gripping. I love the conversations, which are captivating and witty most times.

Involving romance and a police investigation, the novel is unputdownable. Honestly, as I was reading it, I found it difficult to close it to do something else occasionally. All I wanted was to keep reading to know who the masked man was and to see the next stage of the story. Furthermore, comprising 274 pages and short chapters, it's unique and entertaining. It proves that the author has been writing for over forty years.

Regarding the characters, they are interesting. The author gives enough details about them, which make them relatable, introducing each one of them into the story in a fitting manner. Adam, one of the protagonists, is a strong and die-hard man. Patrick, the other protagonist, has a sweet personality, though he has some flaws.

I enjoyed reading the novel. Nonetheless, most of the characters are male and gay. I think the author should have reduced the number of gay characters to make the story realistic, since same-sex relationships are not so common in real life. Besides, there are some hot male-male sex scenes. Hence, readers who don't like the aforementioned features may want to skip the book. Anyway, it's a worthwhile read.

Overall, I rate The Harlequin 4 out of 4 stars. I couldn't rate it lower because it's exceptionally well narrated. Moreover, it seems well edited, though I noticed a couple of grammar errors. It'll be a good read for those who love crime and thriller books that involve gay relationships or readers who are interested in knowing about the gay world.

The Harlequin
View: on Bookshelves
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

The plot of this book is very different from the ones I generally come across. I would never have guessed that Gavin will be murdered. The book sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for a well-put-together review.
Chetna_Kharbanda
Currently Reading: Unsound
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chetna-123.html
Latest Review: "Are You a N****r or a Doctor?" by Otto E. Stallworth Jr. MD MBA

Post by Chetna_Kharbanda »

Track of the book sounds complex yet engaging. Thanks for the review. Above par writing and elements in the story make a thriller more exciting. I would love to read it soon
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

shreyagupta wrote: โ†‘24 Jul 2021, 00:29 The plot of this book is very different from the ones I generally come across. I would never have guessed that Gavin will be murdered. The book sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for a well-put-together review.
You're welcome. It's indeed an interesting read.
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The revolution of sexual orientation has been the topic which I felt reading the review. I will read it.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I am on the fence about this one, due to the nature of the relationships, but I might still pick it up. Thanks for the review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I love to get in at the beginning of a series. This one sounds good even though it may not be very realistic.
Ousebian Nicholas
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ousebian-nicholas.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Ousebian Nicholas »

Wow, I already love the book. It has an intense story with multiple plot twists, based on your review. But why would Gavin be so mean to Patrick? It's unfair. And who is the masked assailant? I will read the book to find out. Your review is insightful. You did an incredible job.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

This seems like an interesting crime thriller book. I love how the review was written also, it sells the book with clarity and the understanding of what you are going to be reading about. Great review and promising book. I'm adding this one to my bookshelf. I look forward to reading it.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

Thanks all for your nice comments. I hope you enjoy the book. ๐Ÿ˜Š
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm interested in a good story and realistic characters, I don't care about their sexual orientation or other characteristics as long as they're properly developed. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to โ€œCrime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Booksโ€