Review of Liner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of Liner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Liner" by Chris Coppel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Morgan McCarthy notices an anomaly on his computer screen at the National Oceanis and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Communications Centre, he is reluctant to call it in. The last time had been a false alarm, so his reluctance was understandable. However, the constant beeping of the machine helps him make up his mind as he begins to suspect something must really be wrong with sensor No 47 on the ocean floor. As the dispatch team sets out to rectify the issue, what they find will bend the borders of reality and answer a question that has lingered for 60 years.

David Easton is a research microbiologist who has had quite a rough life. He resolves to end his life by plunging into the sea, but his life trajectory is altered when he befriends Diana. Their love story and the fate of the 2722 passengers that disappear with the SS Oceanis ensures that this adventure story plunges forward at breakneck speed. What's the connection between the anomaly on Morgan's computer and David's situation aboard the SS Oceanis? This is a tale of the powerful force of mother nature and the secrets that lie eternally buried on the ocean floor.

Liner by Chris Coppel is a book I found difficult to put down. From the first page to the last, Coppel took me on a journey into the depths of the ocean aboard the SS Oceanis. The story was divided into two parts. The first part focused on David Easton and the events that led to the disappearance of the SS Oceanis over 60 years prior. Its disappearance and the events that led to it proved to be inexplicable until strange signals were picked up from the ocean floor about 60 years later. The second part focused on the accidental discovery of the ship and the final resolution for all persons who had been affected by that tragedy. Also, the love story—between David and Diana—woven into this narrative gave it a romantic appeal and contributed to making it an even more compelling read.

The author's storytelling ability was evident throughout his writing. His descriptions of the sea, the ship, and the articulate portrayal of the events aboard the SS Oceanis were quite incredible. I especially enjoyed his description of the design and layout of the cruise ship. Also, the way he described earthquakes and the shifting of tectonic plates to create a tsunami had me awestruck. The relationship between David and Diana and the suffering of characters like Mrs. Hess were the highlights of this story, in my opinion.

I didn't find anything worth hating about this book. The characters—David, Diana, Morgan, and more—were well developed. The plot was spellbinding and suspenseful; I was constantly trying to connect the dots between the two events that were separated by 60 years. I did not find a single error in the book, so I believe it was exceptionally well edited. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to lovers of maritime adventure and romance stories.

Liner
View: on Bookshelves
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Seems like an interesting book. Then I fir the detailed review. Hope to read this soon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really want to read this. I only hope that the David and Diana’s romantic relationship doesn’t take up too much of the story.
Elaine LaBonte
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Life Lessons of Wayne
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine-labonte.html
Latest Review: President's Day by Stephen A. Werbel, Ph.D.

Post by Elaine LaBonte »

"Liner" by Chris Coppel sounds like a book I can curl up with for an evening or two. My favorites novels include some background about scientific studies, such as the shifting of tectonic plates caused by the brute force of Mother Nature. Romance and suicide thoughts - not so much. You’ve given the information that makes me look forward to reading this book.
Thank you.
"Soon I'll find the right words, they'll be very simple ..."
Some of the Dharma, by Jack Kerouac
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The review is going deep down underneath the bottom of the story, like how microbiology is impacting our lives, is incredible. The book must be Finouminal.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a terrific novel with an adventure built also using scientific bits, so it's engaging and at the same time it can offer some food for thought. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Awesome review! This sounds like another great book by Chris Coppel! I just finished Lucy by the same author and Ioved it. I’ll have to check out Liner too.
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

This looks like the type of thriller that I especially enjoy and I look forward to reading Liner. I love action/mysteries that have a good bit of science throughout. Thanks for the great review!
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

I think I'd find the romantic aspect of the book enjoyable. I'll put this up my rank. Your review of the book was beautiful.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

This book is very interesting. I just finished reading it and loved it. The paranormal activity that forms the basis of the book freaked me out though.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

I guess this is a book that touched on aviation and oceans as well. Seems like an interesting read. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

I read and reviewed this book and I have to admit you have done an excellent review of the same. I didn't enjoy reading this book as much as you did but your review is an eye-catcher. Cograts
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

I can't follow up on the plot line. How it feddles from sci-fi to romance then crime fiction. I hope other readers enjoy it like you did. Great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”