Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Guerrilla Internet by Matt Sayer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: Guerrilla Internet by Matt Sayer

Post Number:#1 by kio
» 06 May 2014, 00:05

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Guerrilla Internet" by Matt Sayer.]

Book Cover for 1832
Share This Review

International mystery, technology, and murder combine together to bring readers a show-stopping novel for about geeks and hackers.

All around the world, companies are getting broken into, security footage cut, and data about their technology stolen. The thief or thieves hasn’t made any mistakes until now.

When a co-worker gets murdered and the company’s hard drives all get stolen, software tester, Charlie loses his job. As his boss is handing him his action figures, he accidentally hands Charlie one of the work’s iPhones that has the newest test software of their new mBition app. When Charlie plugs in the device, he remembers that he had left the recording part of the app running on his desk. Hidden by a book on his desk, the murderer hadn’t noticed it and the app recorded everything.

Fighting off a mental breakdown, Charlie sees the app as a sign that he’s meant to help solve the case. In comes Mel, an eccentric American Detective, who is trying to crack the case. Due to her lack of knowledge of technology speak, however, she doesn’t understand some of the lingo and needs Charlie’s help. With a murderer on the loose and company’s technology at stake, can Charlie and Mel solve the case?

Charlie is a realistic and easy to sympathize with character. His internal dialogue really makes the reader keenly feel what he’s feeling as he deals with his anxiety, fears of large crowds, his self-discovery, and the building of his confidence. Charlie, however, did seem a little naïve.

Mel is a funny complex character that is engaging, believable, and adds a lot of depth to the story’s dynamic. Her cluelessness about geek speak makes her character more relatable to and adds a level of entertainment to the story.
The dynamic between Mel and Charlie was unique and engaging. Charlie did seem a bit naive.

The plot is well-developed and the writing style is smooth for the most part and vivid. I felt right at home reading with the technology jargon, but someone might have trouble with some of it. There were a few plot holes, however, like how fast they were able to get visas or how Mel was able to jet around the world on a security guard’s salary (although this was later explained). Also, the scene flow felt a little off towards the end and there was one place where I got a little lost with the sequence of events.

Overall, I’d rate the book 3 out of 4. The characters were fantastic and the plot was engaging, it just had a few problems. Readers who like mystery, intrigue, international stories, and books like Dan Brown’s Digital Fortress will enjoy reading this book.

Buy "Guerrilla Internet" on Amazon
Buy "Guerrilla Internet" on Barnes and Noble
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
kio
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: Evermore
Currently Reading: Dragonwatch
Bookshelf Size: 538 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Guerrilla Internet by Matt Sayer

Post Number:#2 by kismoody
» 31 May 2014, 13:24

Great review, thanks! I'll have to give this one a shot.
kismoody

Bookshelf Size: 18 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#3 by kio
» 31 May 2014, 13:27

Thanks, I hope you enjoy :)
kio

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by ALRyder
» 31 May 2014, 16:33

Thanks for the great review. I would probably be one of those that would get lost in the technology jargon, but this still looks interesting.
ALRyder

Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by kio
» 31 May 2014, 16:51

I can totally under, stand that. A glossary might be handy now that I think of it. Thanks!
kio

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by gali
» 01 Jun 2014, 06:57

Sounds good! Thank you for the lovely review.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Death on a Galician Shore
Bookshelf Size: 1641 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 61%

Post Number:#7 by Macka1080
» 02 Jun 2014, 08:11

Thanks for the wonderful review Kio! I am so glad you enjoyed the book; it means so much to hear so :)
Macka1080

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#8 by kio
» 02 Jun 2014, 15:16

I did, I hope to read more :)
kio