Review of Family Business

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zee_Zee
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zee-zee.html
Latest Review: sour cream and vinegar by the deplorable poet

Review of Family Business

Post by Zee_Zee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Family Business" by James Jack Fauser.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

J.J. is part of a secret organization on a secret mission. However, a series of unusual coincidences seem to imply that their cover has been blown. In this fast-paced, action-packed story, J.J. must uncover the identity of their enemy and the mole within. And this leads him on a journey across Europe and eventually to the United States, where he faces danger at every turn and threats to those he loves. Family Business by James Jack Fauser follows J.J. in his fight against vices, counterterrorism, and a familiar foe. Will he be consumed by a force that seems to know his every move?

Family Business is contemporary in depicting events that resonate with the 21st-century reader. With many fight scenes and distinct flavors of different European cities, Family Business offers a wholesome experience of life as a secret operative. It gives a glimpse into the ruthless operations of the mafia. There are no dull moments, and just like every good thriller, drama and surprises are waiting to spring up at any moment. Even the ending has a twist to it; perhaps a sequel is underway.

One unique and scintillating feature of this book is the inclusion of the author's personalized playlist, which he suggests can be played while reading the book. My favorite is Irony by Beady Belle. The author's descriptive skill is also commendable, especially in the fighting scenes. I could easily visualize the actions taking place and sometimes feel the pain of the 'actors' (the waterboarding scene comes to mind here). The author also tries to relay the backgrounds of the characters and specific ideas. I will therefore say that this book is informative in its approach to contemporary issues and entertaining in its depiction of 'mortal combats.'

On the other hand, a significant issue I have with this book is the volume of errors within. They are too much. These errors include the confusion with using the verb 'have' and 'be,' wrong order of adverbs, missing apostrophes used to indicate possession, and ambiguous sentences. This book needs thorough editing to correct these errors so readers can enjoy this book without a hitch. Apart from that, the language of the book is simple.

I recommend this book to readers who love thrillers with an emphasis on espionage and secret ops. Also, readers who love action-packed novels will not be disappointed. I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Although I'm tempted to remove one more point because of the magnitude of errors within, I still appreciate the plot and narrative style of the author; they are its saving grace. Hopefully, when this is properly edited, it will get a perfect rating.

Family Business
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: The Futility of Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Amy Luman »

Espionage always excites me. Will they be caught? Won’t they? What will happen if they are? Can’t wait to read this.
Reader Chavez
2021 Reading Goal: 250
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Reader Chavez »

I'm a big fan of thrillers and this book sounds intriguing from beginning to end. I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the great review!
k_madhu_jha
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by k_madhu_jha »

As you said there are a lot of errors but it still is a good novel so I think I will read this book one day.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: All Clear
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Flight by Francis M. Burrows

Post by NetMassimo »

Shame about the errors, as this seems like an exciting spy story. I hope the author does proper proofreading to avoid distractions for the readers. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”