Review of Madam Vice President

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Madam Vice President

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Madam Vice President" by Julian Mann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Madam Vice President by Julian Mann is a crime thriller that covers the life of a woman between the years 1980 and 2008. In 1980, at the age of 17, Vera witnessed the murder of an FBI agent. To avoid charges herself, she testifies at a grand jury against Felipe Sanchez and his gang, and they are all sent to prison. Vera’s attorney Ken Berger and U.S. Attorney Michael Brandon agree to fake her death and put her in the Witness Protection Program as Victoria Pierce. She is sent to a farm in Oklahoma, obtains her GED, and runs away to join the Marine Corp to escape her abusive adoptive parents. She works her way up in the Marines to Brigadier General and has been in an affair with married Sam Eagan for 25 years. Sam is the Senate Armed Services Committee Chair and has decided to be a candidate for the presidency of the United States. He names Victoria as his candidate for the vice presidency. Felipe is released from prison on a legal technicality. Will he seek revenge? What happens if the truth of Victoria’s past comes out?

Julian Mann clearly knows the political history of the United States, and he shares this knowledge with the reader in simple terms that are easy to understand. I appreciate that the author included English translations in parentheses when the characters were speaking in Spanish. Mr. Mann fluidly flowed back and forth between the years 1980 and 2008. I was always clear as to what time period the plot was in at any given time. The character development was fantastic. I could visualize and relate to each of the characters’ emotions of fear, despair, love, hatred, and joy.

There are no negative aspects to this book. The fast-paced, action-packed plot flowed smoothly and made it difficult for me to put the book down. I continually wanted to discover what happened next and was curious about what would happen if Victoria’s past became public knowledge.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and I am happy to give it 4 out of 4 stars. I only found two minor non-distracting errors, indicating that a professional editor has edited this book. I cannot think of anything that would justify giving this book fewer stars.

I recommend this delightful book to adults who enjoy crime thrillers. I do not recommend the book to younger readers because of the non-borderline profanity. The sexual content is not descriptive and should not be offensive to most readers. Sensitive readers may want to avoid this book due to the murder scenes, profanity, and sexual content.

Madam Vice President
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Great review! I want to know what happens. I’ve always been curious about the Witness Protection program.
Manalee Ghadi
Currently Reading: The Promise
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manalee-ghadi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Manalee Ghadi »

Crime thrillers are my fav genre, but it's hard to come by a good story.
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

To fake death and live by another name is always amusing. I'm curious how will Felipe will react now that Vera's at top. Thanks for your review.
Parul09
Currently Reading: The MISOGI Method
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Parul09 »

Seems like an interesting read... Your review gave quite a picture of what is actually in the novel... Thank you for such an honest and amazing review.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Very interesting plot it is. I would love to read this book in the coming future. Thanku for the great and detailed review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller with interesting characters in settings that go from a farm to the military and politics. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Omark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omark »

Very great reviews .I like thriller with full of action and betrayal like this intresting review I got from here.i would like to know what is going to happen next.this is great reviews I read thanks for the best review.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Looks like an interesting book. A book on crime? Amazing. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”