Review of The Making of Evil

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: Surviving the College Admissions Madness by Kevin Robert Martin

Review of The Making of Evil

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Making of Evil" by C. Ross Dutton.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In our life's journey, we come across many people, some good and some bad. Have you ever wondered what makes people good or bad? Were they born that way, or did circumstances change them? The Making of Evil tells the story of Juan Gonzalez and his journey to being evil. I suggest you get some tissue nearby before reading this book because this story will leave you emotional afterward.

Juan Gonzales always thought of himself as evil and cursed because he had sinned against God while staring at the statue of an angel. Certain circumstances led him to believe this notion as true, leading to a psychotic breakdown, with him living his life as one doomed and evil. Can a self-condemned soul find salvation? Find out in The Making of Evil.

It takes more than just words on pages to make a book endearing. A book is expected to either pass important information, educate, or entertain. Above all, an excellent book is expected to connect with a reader on an emotional level. The Making of Evil by C. Ross Dutton met some of these criteria, and the reasons would come in the following paragraphs.

One of the most commendable attributes in the book was its unpredictability. I must say that the author had a knack for intertwining surprising and unexpected twists in a story. I was surprised by the outcomes in the book several times. A unique twist was Ralph and Juan's fates; I didn't see them coming. Honestly, I had hoped to catch the author with an intelligent guess. Thankfully, my attempts were only efforts in futility.

Not only were there surprising twists in the story, but the book was also captivating. I've read many stories with storylines revolving around Columbia crimes but none as impressive as this. From the story, we are transported to Columbia and its people around the time the story is set. We see their lives as it was, with detailed explanations of the principal activity — drug dealing. You experience from the pages how hungry and poor the residents of the Cali ghetto were from Juan's view. From how the story was told, I felt like I was there in person and followed him on his life journey.

Although I enjoyed the book's storyline, I had a couple of issues with it. One of them was the avalanche of errors in the book. They were so many that I was left wondering if the book was ever edited at all. I would recommend thorough, detailed, and professional editing for the book.

Another issue I noticed while reading was discord in some details. For instance, earlier in the read, the author noted that Juan was almost four when Maria was born. However, in another part of the book, he mentioned Maria being twelve and Juan being fourteen. This disparity in information should be dealt with whenever the author would decide to revise the book, which I'd expect to happen immediately.

Although fictional, I expected some aspects of the book to be realistic. You would understand why I had an issue with an unrealistic event mentioned in the book. This was when Juan was transporting some girls, and one of them began to menstruate. The author said that she bled all over the seat. Here's the exact sentence from a book: "One of the very first things that happened, was Maya started bleeding all over the seat of the bus." I should mention that, in a realistic setting, a menstruating woman wouldn't bleed to the extent of covering up the seat in blood; it would instead be stained a bit by blood. If this was intentional, then the exaggeration was unnecessary.

I would holistically give The Making of Evil 2 out of 4 stars. This is due to the faults I mentioned in the preceding paragraphs and the number of errors.

I would recommend this book to lovers of crime thrillers, as they would enjoy its storyline. It isn't suitable for a younger audience, as it contained many subtle sex scenes and some acts of violence.

The Making of Evil
View: on Bookshelves
Khushboo Barwar
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

The plot sounds appealing. But the errors you mentioned set me off. I'm skipping it. Thanks for the review.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: The Futility of Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think anyone is either “good” or “evil” all the time. I usually love this type of book, but you mentioned so many errors that I think that I will skip this one. Great review!
asteel18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: The Society of Living Poets by Andrew McCollister
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

Sounds like something I'd be interested in, but maybe after the errors are fixed. Thanks for the review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: All Clear
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Flight by Francis M. Burrows

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with great potential burdened by the problems you mentioned, so I hope the author does more editing to correct those flaws and offer an excellent thriller. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Reader Chavez
2021 Reading Goal: 250
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Reader Chavez »

Seems like a book I'll like to read. I hope the errors are fixed because the theme is quite interesting. Thanks for the honest review!
k_madhu_jha
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Seems like a great novel. Thanks for this detailed review. Would love to read this in future.
MoeBrown
2021 Reading Goal: 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by MoeBrown »

Appreciate your review and your reading through the numerous mistakes. It sounds interesting but I do hope the author addresses the issues soon. I would consider reading after this is done.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”