Review of Final Act

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
megan25006
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan25006.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Review of Final Act

Post by megan25006 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Act" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Final Act by Van Fleisher is the sequel to Final Notice by the same author, but can be read independently. Both books revolve around the invention of a health monitoring watch, by Vijay Patel, which accurately predicts the date of death of the wearer up to thirty days prior to their passing by monitoring specific markers in their blood and other vitals signs. In Final Notice the murders are motivated by revenge for perceived or actual wrongs, but Final Act takes this a step further and explores what would happen if criminal organizations knew individuals were about to die. The Russian mob hacks into the company selling the smart watches system and tracks down individuals who have received their notice of impending death to hire these individuals. The Russian mob pays $50,000 to the loved ones of the death notice recipients for carrying out hits on high value mob targets without drawing suspicions of law enforcement to mob members. This book follows both the mob members and the law enforcement members involved with these crimes and despite being privy to both sides of the story the author kept me guessing all the way to the end.

My favorite part of this book is the way the story forced me to evaluate what I would do if I were in the position of the characters who were presented with this offer from the Russian mob. What is the value of a human life and what lengths would I go to in order to protect and provide for my loved ones after I pass away? Another aspect of this book that I greatly enjoyed is how the author is able to seamlessly weave divisive political topics into an engaging and suspenseful story without taking a particular political stance. There is truly something for every reader in this story from the sci-fi element of the watch capabilities, the suspense of the murders, the contemporary political commentary and the love stories of multiple characters.

My least favorite part of this book is that it was a little hard to follow at times due to the large number of transient characters involved, but each character brought depth and meaning to the story. I did find the summary in the last chapter to be a great way to pull these various story lines together into the bigger picture.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was extremely well written both in terms of the plot and the proofreading efforts. I was able to connect with the well developed characters and feel their emotions along with them as I read. I also love a book that challenges how I see the world and myself and this book did that from start to finish. This book also wrapped up very satisfyingly with no loose ends, but leaving me with something to think about.

I recommend everyone except those who do not enjoy books with rape scenes read this book. The details are minimal, but at one point the Russian mob does force a character to strip at gunpoint and issue a threat.

Final Act
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”