Review of The Ghost Tree

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Review of The Ghost Tree

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ghost Tree" by Brandon Faircloth.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rachel finds a strange note in her basement, which leads to the discovery of a secret room. The room appears to be a prison of sorts, and she finds an intriguing notebook describing the powerful allure of a strange and massive tree. She finds a tunnel and runs in, not knowing that what she finds there will change her life forever. Thomas accepts a job watching a woman on a video camera when he realizes that the woman is in danger. Wally receives unsettling messages and deliveries. Justin, a tormented and lost soul, finds the Ghost Tree. The secrets of the Ghost Tree bind these characters together as they separately, but also together journey through their lives.

In The Ghost Tree, author Brandon Faircloth creates four storylines that overlap and intersect in magical and imaginative ways. The first-person narrative alternates between the four main characters, allowing for elaborate character development. One man bears the heavy burden of resentment and seeks vengeance. Another feels trapped between worlds and contemplates his own ethics. Both are shaped by prior experiences that are weaved into the plot.

The best part of this book is the integration of timelines and storylines that fit together like a puzzle. This added momentum to the plot, and a complete understanding was not gained until the end of the book. There were tantalizing and subtle clues that left openings for what could be other books and subsequent meetings of the characters; a whisper here, a number there, and brief introductions of other characters seem to be passing through this story. The sensory descriptions also added depth to the story, as I could visualize and feel the vibrations of the sledgehammer as its heavy head hit the brick wall, and I could feel the ominous atmosphere as the tree’s “arms waved and whipped frantically as its frothing leaves heaved and tossed like waves meant more for sinking than sailing.” Brilliant!

There is nothing I disliked about the book; without hesitation, The Ghost Tree deserves 4 out of 4 stars. At first, I did have difficulty keeping up with the host of characters and the switching perspectives, but this turned out to be a strength of the book. I ended up reading the whole book twice and searching for other books by this author where some of the characters might turn up. I’m glad I read it twice because there were a few things that I missed the first time. It is professionally edited, with an attractive cover. The author, in the first few pages, invites the reader into his world with a three-line introduction that summarizes the underlying themes in the book.

This book will appeal to a wide range of readers. I recommend it specifically to those who enjoy fictional stories with a little horror, a little sci-fi, some magic, and a whole lot of action. Additionally, there is an element of psychology and a powerful theme of redemption that all people will be able to relate to. There is some profanity in the text, so younger readers who are sensitive to this and the supernatural may not enjoy it. Overall, the imagination of this author is commendable, and I really enjoyed getting lost in this masterpiece.

The Ghost Tree
View: on Bookshelves
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a fantastic novel that mixes elements of different genres to create a well-constructed set of intertwined stories rich in details with complex protagonists. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

The title is very catchy, and the story sounds interesting. Great review!
Ninja wgush
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ninja wgush »

The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. I wonder what the Ghost Tree is and how it relates to our protagonists.
Jeremypakan
Currently Reading: Growth
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Jeremypakan »

Four characters with different stories and put together in the same storyline, it is very interesting because it is very difficult to tell four characters who have different stories but the same plot, and the author tells these four characters as if alive, for those who read them will feel what the characters in the story feel, worth collecting for this book
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

Four storylines that overlap and intersect in magical and imaginative ways? I thought it'll create some confusion, seems like there isn't. Will be reading this! Thanks for your review.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

After reading this review it encourages me to read such books more. I am seeing myself reading this book in the future. Thanku for this great review
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Gives "Coraline" vibes. I think I'll love this! Amazing review: your excitement is tangible and contagious :)
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I will be reading this. I’d love to see how all of the storylines work together. Thanks for the great review!
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Ninja wgush wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 00:25 The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter.
Oooh. Great comment!
Ashiraf Sserwadda
Currently Reading: Descendant Deception
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ashiraf Sserwadda »

How oursome is the story ! Its my first time to a cross this category of tales . thanks for the review
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

This book will be really great read for me as it is of my favorite genre. Thank you for the amazing review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”