Review of Carrefour

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review of Carrefour

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Carrefour" by D. M. Buckley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you love stories of crime, murder, and death that are thrilling? Or you are a fan of adventurous young adults sleuthing around. Carrefour by D. M. Buckley is a 165-page thriller that follows the escapades of four women with themes of homicide, romance, familial love, and friendly camaraderie.

Lexi O’Malley and her three friends have hopes of establishing a private investigation firm, seeing as they have a different combination of skills that are suited for such a career. Ryan, Lexi’s cousin, got mixed up with a miscreant friend, Mick, which resulted in his abduction. Later, Ryan suddenly found himself in mortal danger. With Ryan seeking Lexi’s help in finding his friend and saving his life, Lexi and the Carrefour team suddenly find themselves pitched against a group of hooligans that do not mind spilling blood to achieve their objectives. To find out how the amateur detective agency performed against the nefarious group, read this book for details.

Carrefour is quite a breezy read. Lexi and her friends are young adults, and their love for adventure was aptly portrayed throughout the book. The language and mannerisms depict the typical teenager striving to be independent of parental influence while trying to make a living. The book also highlighted the dangerous binds that young adults could heedlessly plunge themselves into. An instance was when Lexi and Isabel tried to track a known convict by themselves.

I was impressed by the distinctiveness of the characters. Nick was a childhood nemesis for Lexi that she still reaches out to when she needs help. Darcy is the internet-savvy sleuth who cannot withstand the dangers of being a field operative. All the characters were perfect for their roles in the story. Their interactions were also finely crafted such that you already know what to expect. My favorite scene is between Lexi and Penelope the Ilama. It was a hilarious first confrontation between the two.

I found that the plot was too stretched, and the story did not really come together. Also, I found two storylines that seemed to be tenuously connected. I mean, the connection between Dmitri’s group and Conman Shyster. Also, I found it odd that Chapter One was written in the third person point-of-view while the rest were written in the first-person point-of-view. For the rich characterization, I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. Also, it is well edited, as I noticed only two grammatical errors. However, I deducted one star for a poorly woven plot.

I will recommend the book to lovers of young adult fiction, thrillers, and mysteries with a touch of romance. While it may not be the best guide for any wannabe police detective or private investigator, it lightly portrays its techniques to merit a relaxing read into how crimes get solved.

Carrefour
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Sounds like a thrilling story! I'm a big fan of crime novels and this review has got me tempted to read it! Great job! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Wish Nyandoro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wish Nyandoro »

Sounds like a great story , I love this novel. It's like it was calling me to come read it. Great work!☺️
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

This book takes me back when I was obsessed with detective books which involved wannabe sleuths. I am definitely going to read this. Thanks for the review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I want to read this. It sounds like something that could really happen and that's one of the things I look for in my fiction. Thanks!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like the author had some ideas suitable for short fiction then stretched them to obtain a novel that wasn't completely successful. Still, this seems a fun read. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

The genre that I’m always seeking and will always be keen on reading. I’ll definitely give this a shot. Thanks for this review buddy!
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

Homicide, romance, familial love, and friendly camaraderie, these are all I look for in a crime thriller, plus the free form, teenager-striving-to-be-independent tone sounds appealing too. Thanks for your review.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

The love story of crime got me. Thank you for this review. Seeing forward to read this book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”