Review of The Cure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of The Cure

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cure" by Ken Peters.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year was 2010, and the HIV pandemic is on the rampage in Africa, threatening to decimate more than half of her population. A vaccine against the virus is more than a welcomed development at this critical moment, and it seems the tide will soon be reversed. However, this cure might also hold the potential to cure more than just the pandemic. For a group of six wealthy patricians, it has the answer to reclaiming their birthright, and they will stop at nothing to accomplish their goal. Stephen Kennedy, a geneticist, is recruited for this purpose, but he soon discovers the true meaning of 'the cure.' Will he be able to save millions of endangered lives on time while also fighting to save his life. The Cure by Ken Peters follows the puppet masters in their quest to regain control and the ensuing tale of greed, love, and consequences.

The Covid-19 pandemic has given a glimpse into the fragility of humans in the face of a deadly virus. The plot of this book is a stretch on one of the fears that arise in such situations. The Covid-19 vaccines are not yet widely accepted, and many conspiracy theories surround the pandemic and what it portends for the future. Perhaps we might never know what goes on behind the scenes, but what we do know is that nature does have a system of checks and balances. Life is a constant battle against man's intrinsic selfish instincts and the destructive forces of nature.

The Cure keys into the popular narrative that life, as we know it, is controlled by a few. Its plot is dotted with commentaries on the political and economic nature of the African states, including the corruption ravaging the continent. The historical relationship and current migration threat between the colonists and the colonized are also touched. The events therein are thought-provoking. It opens the discussion on the true nature of things and the dark side of life.

The plethora of errors in this book seems to suggest that it wasn't edited at all. I found more than fifty errors. This book, therefore, needs thorough editing if readers are to be guaranteed an enjoyable read. I also find the narrative style a little too idealistic; it borders on ideas rather than character development. Finally, it tells rather than shows how events unfold. This is, however, a personal preference and does not remove from the fact that the information within is original (although events tend to border on tropes).

I will recommend this book to readers interested in conspiracy theories and the intricacies (political and economic) of the West and her colonies. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Apart from the numerous errors therein, the narrative style and plot development leave much to be desired. I will, however, applaud its informative take on the workings of world politics.

The Cure
View: on Bookshelves
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

From the review, the book has facts that relates well with reality. The book is informative. Good review.
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

The plot is intriguing but I think I'll skip this one. Underdeveloped characters are a big turn-off for me.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

In all the predicament that has visited man, nature has a way of bringing a possible solution to our dilemmas even if it's not generally accepted by man. Good job!
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

It's a shame there are so many inaccuracies in the book. It appears to be intriguing. Personally, I'd like to read it since it discusses the painful truths that are kept hidden from the public eye. Excellent review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Books about pandemics aren't my favorite, I think this book is nice but definitely not for me, beautiful review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that I’ll ignore the errors and read this anyway. It’s heartening to think that a cure for any of the incurable diseases today is on the horizon. Thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel addresses some interesting themes, including some that are very important today. However, the pandemic made me "allergic" to conspiracy theories connected to diseases and vaccines and the problems with style and errors is honestly a turnoff. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

Thank you for an informative review. With Covid so relevant and personal, I am not sure if I am up for more of the same. Reading is an escape, and this is too close for comfort at this time.
Ahñ Mèiã
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ah-m-i.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ahñ Mèiã »

The premise of the book is interesting and intriguing 😍 but unless the reader is so eager to know everything till the end, a lot of errors will make a lot of readers give up the book

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”