Review of The Spectacular

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Review of The Spectacular

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Spectacular" by Billy Flynn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Spectacular by Billy Flynn is an interesting military-political thriller that follows three main characters with conflicting goals but similar experiences in their youth. Alan Jackson is a retired SAS soldier thrust into a seemingly unending conflict with Patrick Kelly when he detonates an explosive that kills his men. He sets his sight on avenging his men and righting the wrongs that led to their death by hunting down Kelly both lawfully and illegally. Patrick Kelly is a leader in the IRA who was forged by the death of his parents during an SAS-PIRA ambush. He will do anything to chase the British from Ireland, in hopes of uniting South and North Ireland into one single nation. Nizar, an Afghan disciple of Osama Bin Laden and Omar Mullar, becomes the leader of the Taliban. He was orphaned by USSR soldiers when he was a boy and holds the same passion as Kelly in chasing foreign rule from his country. He and Kelly are drawn into global terrorism and are destined to war against Alan Jackson and the peace he stands for. Who will survive their eventual clash? Whose goals will come to fruition? These questions and more are answered in this amazing book.

The book has many themes highlighted like love, family, friendship, betrayal, politics, leadership, justice, democracy, religion, fanaticism, and determination. The author used these themes masterfully along with a healthy dose of flashback to draw a picture of the similarities and differences among the main characters, and to further the plot. I could see from the themes that all three main characters were killers in their own right. The themes that stood out to me the most were politics and war. The book follows global politics from the 1970s to present day. Although it is a woke of fiction, the author mentions several key historical events that make the book seem more real.

I loved the use of multiple POVs in this book as it highlighted the different mentalities of most of the characters in the book. The portrayal of Joseph O`Malley had me in tears despite his POV not being in the book. The other part of the book that I liked was surprisingly educational and dealt mostly in how clandestine operations operated. I enjoyed learning historical British-Ireland relations.

There were some parts to the book that I disliked during my reading. The use of multiple Point of views in the book, while unique, tended to bog down the tempo of the plot. This happened mainly due to overly similar experiences across various characters. The other part of the book I disliked was the overuse of acronyms when dealing with organizations, criminal or otherwise. Keeping up with so many acronyms was a headache. The book had a fair number of typos and grammar errors that kept slowing my reading. Due to this reason, I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars.

The book would appeal to fans of political thriller, crime-action, historical fiction, and mystery novels. It would not appeal to fans of the non-fiction genre. The book varies in pace due to flashback but is definitely worth the read. It is a standalone book that I enjoyed reading, and I am looking forward to more books from the author.

The Spectacular
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Never read a political thriller but would give this one a try since I'm a fan of historical fiction and crime novels. Thank you for such a well-written review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
sunny4life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunny4life.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by sunny4life »

Nice review, comprehensive enough without giving too much of the story.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Goodness, that's a whole lot of POVs and acronyms. I like that it has a lot to learn and your emotions over a character who didn't have a POV only tells how good the story is. Thank you for a great review!
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

I'm not a fan of military-political thrillers. However, this one seems interesting as it explores other topics of daily life such as love, family, friendship, betrayal, leadership, justice, and religion. Great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The elements mixed up in this novel make an impressive storyline that addresses important issues connected to the recent history of a number of nations. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It seems that the book has a very strong and complex plot. Thanks for the good review.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

Wow! A political thriller with a suspense-filled plot? I am definitely reading this. Thank for this beautifully written review.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

There is a lot to learn from this book. Would love to read this after reading your well detailed review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”