Review of Deception's Bastard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Review of Deception's Bastard

Post by Smmwallace »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deception's Bastard" by Rebecca E.Dalmeida.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Deception’s Bastard is a dark and captivating novel by Rebecca E. Dalmeida. At five years old, Ryan West just became a big brother to his new baby sister Michelle. Normally, it's an exciting and happy time for a young child in this new role, one filled with fascination and eagerness to help in the newborn's care. Unfortunately, Ryan is anything but normal and starts to exhibit psychopathic behavior. When happiness turns to tragedy, the West family is left in shambles. With his adoptive parents in over their heads and the household in ruins, Ryan grows up unhindered as a narcissistic evil force. When he seeks out his biological parents, Ryan is exposed to a whole new world. One that allows him to be his true self and shine, with no mask to worry about and no fake feelings. Working for the mob, Ryan has found his calling with money, mayhem, and prominence. Still, he wants more, and he wants it all, including Dr. Rachel Deposito, a kind and unassuming pediatric surgeon he meets during a hospital fundraiser. Ryan sees Rachel as his gateway to a new crowd of wealthy and elite benefactors to cull from. Unable to help herself, she falls for Ryan's charm and charisma. All too soon, the mask drops, and she sees the real Ryan behind it. Will Rachel escape his sadistic madness?

This book was fascinating yet horrifying, and not only did I find that I couldn't tear my eyes away, but I also didn't want to! A fitting analogy would be as follows: Reading it was akin to seeing the aftermath of an accident on the freeway. You know you shouldn't gawk as you drive by, but you can't seem to help yourself. You feel compelled to look all the while praying it's not catastrophic. Please understand that I say this as a compliment to the author! Although I couldn't relate to Ryan as a person, his character inadvertently reinforced everything that makes us human, such as compassion, empathy, and love. Ryan West was a chilling character as an adult, but the true horror came from Ryan as a child, and he was terrifying. There were times while reading that I felt uncomfortable because the words I saw on the page didn't mesh with my moral compass. With Ryan being egotistical and calculating, I knew what to expect from his role in the story, everything from selfishness to deceit. What I didn't anticipate, though, was that the author added just enough nuance to his character that time and again, I was fooled into thinking maybe Ryan had changed. It goes without saying that the author did an excellent job with character development.

Dr. Rachel Deposito was the other main character in this startling book, and she started out as a smart, funny, and kind woman with moral values. Once Ryan started manipulating her, she began losing herself as an individual. The author revealed the transition slowly, which made it at once believable and relatable. As the reader, I could picture myself in Rachel's shoes making the same decisions regarding Ryan's character. It helped me understand that it makes no difference how intelligent or careful you are, this scenario could happen to anyone, and that's a scary thought. I loved Dr. Alexandra Endicott, a supporting character who is Rachel's colleague and best friend. Alexi came from a wealthy family with far-reaching connections and was able to help Rachel throughout her ordeal. She displayed strength, power, and the determination to save Rachel from Ryan's control, especially when Rachel couldn't save herself. Alexi was the antithesis to Ryan in that she was just as fierce in protecting Rachel as Ryan was ruthless in destroying her. I enjoyed seeing her fearlessly go head to head with Ryan. I wish I had a friend like her! Without a doubt, she was my favorite character.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. The author’s writing style was easy to follow and had a good flow, making it pleasurable to read. It was professionally edited as I didn't notice any errors. This book was both riveting and difficult to put down! Therefore, I'm pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Although it's not a typical horror novel per se with a fantastical monster or boogeyman, it does possess another type of monster, the human kind. Dealing with the depravity that the human mind can display, this book is for mature readers who enjoy dark thrillers. It's also not for the faint of heart, as it contains profanity, violence, and extreme sexual elements.

Deception's Bastard
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oluwole Odugbesan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oluwole Odugbesan »

The book thought me not to engage in wickedness or atrocities that will make us regret forever.
Jude Agwude
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jude Agwude »

Sounds horrifying and interesting, nice
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

If I couldn't pause in your review, what about the book? I'd love to get my hands on this one. Thank you for your splendid review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Fascinating and horrifying seems like a very interesting combo! I would love to discover all its secrets, so thank you for this great introduction!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

Oluwole Odugbesan wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 15:39 The book thought me not to engage in wickedness or atrocities that will make us regret forever.
Exactly! Thank you for leaving a comment. :tiphat:
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

Jude Agwude wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 19:52 Sounds horrifying and interesting, nice
The book is both for sure! Thank you for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!
:tiphat:
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

Victor Kilyungi wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 00:41 If I couldn't pause in your review, what about the book? I'd love to get my hands on this one. Thank you for your splendid review.
Thank you for leaving a comment. It's a great book; you won't be able to put it down!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 02:42 Fascinating and horrifying seems like a very interesting combo! I would love to discover all its secrets, so thank you for this great introduction!
Give it a go if you get a chance! Thank you for leaving a comment. I really appreciate it!
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

Wow, it sounds like this book covers a lot of twisted terrain. I like that it has a more novel thriller plot. Thanks for the review!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

Jagiine wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 14:34 Wow, it sounds like this book covers a lot of twisted terrain. I like that it has a more novel thriller plot. Thanks for the review!
It does! Thanks for leaving your comment. I appreciate it!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intense thriller that goes into the dark sides of human being. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the plot of the book and the seemingly impossible mix of people and events. Thanks for the good review.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

NetMassimo wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 15:18 This seems like an intense thriller that goes into the dark sides of human being. Thank you for your great review!
It does! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate it!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

markodim721 wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 13:12 I like the plot of the book and the seemingly impossible mix of people and events. Thanks for the good review.
If you get a chance, give it a go! Thank you for leaving your comment. I appreciate it!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”