Review of Corruptacy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Review of Corruptacy

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Corruptacy" by Don Vanlandingham.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Corruptacy by Don VanLandingham is a fiction novel that follows the thrilling story of Jeffery Allan, a forensic certified public accountant for the Executive Office of United States Trustees (EOUST). His job revolved around discovering fraud in bankruptcy cases, and this was a job he did exceedingly well. However, such a job would not come without risks. After several successes on the job, he was sent to Amarillo, Texas, to help with a fraud case involving illegal drugs. The stakes were high for all parties involved, and Jeffery and his partner from the DEA, Joseph LaSalle, were attacked, with Joseph losing his life in that encounter. While Jeffery was pulled from the case for his safety and assigned to another case, this new case in San Fransisco would be tied with the dangerous one he just came out of, and the people involved and scale would be beyond anything he had imagined.

Two words I would use to perfectly describe the story are adventurous and unique. Unique in the sense that I have not read any book that goes into the details of auditing and fishing out bankruptcy frauds like this one, while the main character embarks on numerous adventures to sniffing out these fraudulent practices, including dangerous, life-threatening ones. I have to say that I loved every minute of reading this fast-paced story. The author's experience working as a forensic accountant for decades is on full display here, and at times, I found it hard to believe that this wasn't a true-life story, especially with the level of in-depth descriptions of not just what the main character's job was like but also his emotions in this new terrain involving violence and his relationships that helped him along the way.

The story is told from the first-person perspective, as Jeffery Allan narrates the events in a way that draws the reader in and makes you feel like he is physically telling you the story while he breaks the fourth wall expertly. I also enjoyed getting a full understanding of the main character's personality and drive, as he rarely hesitates to bring us back to his life growing up and how it affects his decisions. We see how he developed his spirit of determination that will endear him to readers and his ability to listen to his gut feeling that would be important later in the story.

Of course, there is also my favorite element of suspense that gave me something to look forward to, especially when Jeffery's life was constantly in danger and his family was threatened. The only aspect of Corruptacy that requires improvement is the book's editing. I found over ten errors over the course of reading the book. Even though they were minor errors that I could read through, they could have been fewer.

Overall, Corruptacy is a suspense-filled, well-executed thriller. The complaint discussed above means that I will have to rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. Readers who enjoy crime stories, mysteries, and thrillers will thoroughly enjoy reading this book.

Corruptacy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That is quite unique and dangerous. It's a suspense with a good story, the dangerous case linked with another case makes for a lot of action. Thank you for a great review!
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

The job of a forensic certified public accountant and the attendant risk isn't spoken about enough, and due accolades aren't given to those undertaking such jobs. This book seem to shed enough light on it, and I love it. Great review.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

This certainly sounds like an intriguing and suspenseful thriller. I am curious to know how the story plays out for Jeffery. Great job on the review.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Who would think that accounting might be dangerous, even lethal? It looks like in this novel that's the case. Also, a novel centered accounting seems intriguing and exciting. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Seems like a great book. Thank you for the amazing review. Hope to read this soon.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Seems like an interesting plot. Would love to read this book soon. Thank you for this great and well detailed review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”