Review of Black Freighter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Review of Black Freighter

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black Freighter" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the tiny nation of Grenada in the West Indies, things are tense because the upcoming national election has turned people against each other, and a volcano by the name of Kick ‘em Jenny is showing the first signs of eruption since the 1930s. Analyst Robert Wilson has been assigned to find out the underlying conditions of the election campaign scheduled in seven days. Nobody knows why a black COBRA freighter named Shanghai Maiden is offshore of Grand Anse Beach. The National Standard Party (NSP) has been running the government for 20 years and has blue jerseys and placards. Grenada’s People Congress (GPC), the orange party, has been running against the NSP for two decades. The GPC has never had money, but this year seems to be different. British adjunct consul, Sir Darius Lightchurch, is also on assignment in Grenada. He introduces Madeline Caron to Robert as his security team. There is a lot of secrecy at the Wong Construction site, where large containers are being brought in. What is going on in Grenada? Is the GPC trying to take over this small island? Will the volcano erupt and make the election results inconsequential? What is the Shanghai Maiden up to? You will have to read Black Freighter: A Caribbean Spy Thriller by Fred G. Baker to find out.

This book has a few positive aspects that stand out. Firstly, the book covers a short timeframe, and every chapter is labeled with the day of the week. Secondly, Mr. Baker has done a fantastic job describing the buildings, the island, flooded streets, beaches, and Tropical Storm Betty. Finally, the character development allows the reader to get to know each of them. I could envision Tori in her bikini, and showing fear of Major Cortez is one example. However, I could also feel the fear, love, and pain of the characters. While reading the book, I felt like I was on the small island of Grenada and knew each of the characters personally.

As far as I am concerned, this book has no negative aspects. The plot is action-packed and flows smoothly throughout the book. I had a hard time putting this book down because I wanted to know what happened next.

A professional editor has edited this well-written book. I only found two minor errors in the entire book that a professional editor could have easily overlooked. Therefore, there is absolutely no reason to give this book less than 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to adult readers who enjoy crime thrillers or books revolving around the Caribbean. However, this book is inappropriate for younger or sensitive readers because of the nonborderline profanity, sexual content, and gory details of murder and combat scenes.

Black Freighter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's an interesting story. It's building tension and suspense with all these activities taking place. The writing sounds descriptive and engaging. Thank you for an insightful review!
Pranav Sharma 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pranav Sharma 1 »

The book starts with the current scenario which is ongoing in Grenada, westindies. It blend the current situation like political activities with the interesting circumstances. The story is written very well and writer also emphasized on the minor details which is very appreciable.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Awesome review. Sounds like a book that will take a reader to a roller coaster of emotions.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

Thrilling. Action-packed. Definitely sensational. I wanna read this one. Thank you for this lovely review.
sunny4life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunny4life.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by sunny4life »

Lovely review, sounds like quite an epic read. Definitely adding this to my bookshelves.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Another action packed, difficult to put down book!!! That's definitely on my reading list.:)
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

If I ever get the chance to read this book I would. It's been some time since I last read a good thriller and this book sounds promising. You did a superb job with the review. I can feel the lip-biting suspense!
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

Amazing review. This book would surely make the reader experience lots of emotional swings with it's suspense. Thank you for a great review
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

Your review is flawless. I learnt lot from you. Thank you for this amazing review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing action-packed thriller set in quite an exotic setting. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I recently read a book by this author and enjoyed it. This one sounds equally good. I like how descriptive his books are and that every chapter is dated. It's well organized.
Thank you for the review.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Great review. Seems like an interesting book.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

Although the review was a little confusing, I was able to find the book promising. I look forward to reading this book. I am not in any rush particularly though, so I might just have to keep it on my bookshelf for the time being. That being said, this is a great job done by the author and kudos to the reviewer
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Sound like a book that's politically insightful. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”