Official Review: Terrorists In Wonderland by Richard Sand

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda LM
2021 Reading Goal: 22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lm.html
Latest Review: Whitby Rock by Kev Freeman

Official Review: Terrorists In Wonderland by Richard Sand

Post by Guda LM »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Terrorists In Wonderland" by Richard Sand.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ashman, The Tunnel Runner, has a reputation as a hero and a killer due to his kill rate in the Vietnam War and his work in espionage and secret government operations. Presently, Ashman is on a ruthless mission to avenge the death of his beloved wife, Maya. Maya’s murder was through an explosion that blew her head off. Ashman has nothing left to live for and dedicates his life to putting the pieces together and dishing out his version of justice to everyone involved. He sets out to punish the killers, including their children, grandparents, and even pets.

Lucas Rook is an accomplished private investigator and a retired NYPD officer after twenty years of service. He is often haunted by the death of his twin brother and battles feelings of guilt. His love, Catherine Wren, keeps him grounded, and his business brings in the money. His cases at first seem harmless, like a gambling art dealer and a child custody case. However, things quickly morph, and soon Lucas is knee-deep in a complicated and intriguing assignment. His world turns more curious and mysterious when he unwittingly becomes Ashman’s target. Their encounter threatens to be violent with monumental consequences. Are they on the same side or enemies?

Terrorists In Wonderland is a fascinating read that includes realistic depictions of a spy and espionage world. Richard Sand exquisitely describes every detail from the war Ashman went through to Lucas’s investigative world and diverse clientele. The accurate information is also a testament to the author’s commitment and excellent research. The book also includes humorous metaphors and sarcasm through Lucas and his operations, making it an enjoyable and funny read. The characters are also distinct and memorable due to their descriptions. For instance, it is easy to perceive Ashman’s no-nonsense personality or Argider’s, one of Lucas’s clients, shrewd personality.

My favorite aspect of the novel is the strong female presence led by Catherine, Attorney Alice Loebel (a headstrong lawyer with a pivotal role in Ashman and Lucas’s lives), and even Maya in her death. The women have a lasting presence and directly influence the unfolding of events. However, the character introduction was poor and my least favorite thing about the book. As a character appears, the author refers to them with different names (first, last, nicknames) at every appearance /mention. Therefore, it takes time to realize the names and information are of one person. Additionally, the constant shift in narrations between first and third added to the confusion. For instance, the sentence, ‘When the Tunnel Runner had what he needed, he read a couple of newspapers and then rolled by the hardware store where Bernsie had tried to take you out’. It begins in third-person narration and ends in first.

Despite having minimal spelling errors, the book still needs another round of editing to reconcile the narrations and correct the tenses. Moreover, the book does not live up to its title and synopsis. Ashman and Lucas meet late in the story, and their encounter is not as satisfying. The wonderland theme is also not as distinct. As a result, I give the book a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. The language employed is simple but contains significant profanities and sexual innuendos. There is also potentially offensive language when referring to Arabs and Africans in general. I recommend Terrorists In Wonderland to mature readers looking to dive into a world of government conspiracies, incredible crimes, and unrelenting revenge.

Terrorists In Wonderland
View: on Bookshelves
Pallavi Lakra
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

This book sounds like it has a lot of potential and a little proofreading and editing could make it much better. Thanks for the review!
Piece Nkem
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piece-nkem.html
Latest Review: Get Minted! by Nora A. Gay

Post by Piece Nkem »

I would like to feel the vengefulness of Ashman! Thanks for the review.
Mbrooks2518
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 350
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: How The Hell Did I Get Here? by Anthony Aguirre

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

The summary was intriguing. It's disappointing that the story doesn't follow through. Thanks for the great review!
Dzejn_Crvena
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 1899
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I'm intrigued by how the author came up with the title.
I'm interested in a book related to Vietnam, so I might give this a try.
Thanks for revealing the critical parts of the book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Change
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Jokerman by David Magee

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel has some intriguing elements, it's a shame that some development choices make it unsatisfactory. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: Cultural Chauvinism by Minabere Ibelema

Post by markodim721 »

I like the high degree of realism that the book provides to readers.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”