Official Review: The Intruder by Jessie Capps

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Official Review: The Intruder by Jessie Capps

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Intruder" by Jessie Capps.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Intruder by Jessie Capps is a thriller novel. The 61-page book is divided into 13 chapters. The novel contains themes of love, courage, mystery, and sacrifice.

Rose and Jess had been dating for two years. Jess decides they should take a trip to an abandoned estate in town to celebrate their second anniversary. The estate is eerie, and Rose is uncomfortable. However, before they could turn back, Jess disappears, and Rose is attacked from the shadows. A year later, the case remained unsolved by the police. Also, Jess’s whereabout, whether alive or dead, remains unknown. Rose begins to receive strange notes and messages reminding her of the day Jess disappeared. Rose turns to Sebastian, her boyfriend, Jess’s elder brother, for help. With the belief that Jess was still alive, Rose decides to dig into the situation rather than back away. She goes back to the estate where it all happened. Things become creepier as she begins her search. Can Jess still be alive after all these months? Who is the person behind it all, and what have they done to deserve it? Read this book to find out that and more.

I love the author’s writing style. The book was direct and easy to understand. Though short, it is filled with suspense and mystery. The author was able to manage the themes well enough. I could never have guessed what was coming in the end.

My favorite character was Rose. Her courage was quite exceptional. Her love for Jess was evident. She never gave up on looking for her, even when she had reasons to believe Jess was dead. Many would have been paralyzed by the thought of going back to the building, but Rose went back to search for her partner. This is a lesson of hope, love, and persistence. I did enjoy the time I had with Jess. She was a witty character.

However, there are some things I dislike about the book. Some of the characters were not well developed. For example, Sebastian was quite crucial in the story, and yet we barely knew him. Although I understand the author was trying to stick with the mystery theme. I would have loved it if there had been a backstory to his character. I also felt the storyline was not well explored. The plot was too shallow, and some important details were left out. Therefore, I rate The Intruder 3 out of 4 stars. The book was well edited, as I found a few errors that did not hinder my reading experience.

Finally, I recommend the book to lovers of thriller novels and drama. The author left us with a promise of more. I will be looking forward to seeing where she takes the story in the sequel. I believe the storyline has great potentials.

The Intruder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

I like the themes that are involved in this thriller. The review was great.
Da Rafi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-da-rafi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Da Rafi »

What happened to jess is still an unsolved mystery, and rose is a brave woman, love for jess has pushed her to uncover the mystery of jess without cause, very good review, i really want to read this book, know how it goes
SierraCavender
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sierracavender.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by SierraCavender »

This seems like a fantastic evening read! I think I'll wait for some stormy weather to set the mood and find out what happened to Jess.
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

For a short book, this sounds quite nice built up with mystery. Would love to read. Thanks for the review!
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

Reminds me of the story of a movie(I don't remember the name of movie). Quite interesting thou, your review made me curious to know the further story. Thank you for your lovely review!!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is a pity that the characters are not better developed because the plot itself seems well conceived. Thanks for the review, the book definitely has my attention.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

For a book with few pages, this is an enthralling story.
I will consider picking this book and see if I'll feel the same way you do.
I'm a plot-oriented reader, so I hope the underdeveloped characters won't bother me much.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's a great story in 61 pages. I love a good mystery and this one has piqued my interest. Thank you for a great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Probably, this book is too short to have all the important characters properly developed. At least it seems like an intense thriller. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I am surprised that the author was able to pack so much into so few pages! I usually won't even bother with a book if it is that short. That may be why the characters are underdeveloped. Despite the length, it does sound like an interesting book!
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Laksha Maria Charbel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laksha-maria-charbel.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Reading Device: B08KKD61CM

Post by Laksha Maria Charbel »

I love a good mystery book and this certainly is an interesting take by adding a bit of romance, hope and courage into the mix. The unexpected ending and not knowing what's coming are my favourite parts about this genre. However, at the mention of the shallow plot and underdeveloped characters I will pass on this one as I enjoy well developed characters. Thank you for the review, much appreciated.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

I'm a sucker for thrillers. This is incredible and bonus points for the short nature of the book. Thank you for your review.
Milothehippo
Currently Reading: The Etymologicon
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Milothehippo »

This is one of my favorite genre. The introduction of the story told in this review turn my curiosity on.
However, I'm a bit confused about the gender of Rose and Jess. Are they lesbians?
I also feel the same about Rose ending up with Jess's elder brother after the estate incident. It sounds so weird but this weirdness is often seen in American films so I have to roll my eyes and quote 'beurk, not again??'
Thank you for your honest review.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The review is depicting so many twists and turns that I am really wishing to read the book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”