Review by sanksras -- Emergence by Shira Shiloah

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sanksras
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanksras.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Review by sanksras -- Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by sanksras »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Emergence" by Shira Shiloah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being a sucker for mystery novels, I knew I had to give Shira Shiloah's Emergence a read. I am pleased to say that I don't regret it at all! Emergence is a gripping thriller that takes the reader behind the scenes of the operating rooms in hospitals. The story is told from multiple perspectives but is centred around anaesthesiologist, Dr Roxanne Roth. As she balances studying for oral exams and moving on from her dead fiancé, Dr Roth discovers sinister activity lurking behind the doors of the operating rooms. Many patients start dying after having their surgeries operated by her ex-colleague and neurosurgeon, Dr D.K Webb. But Dr Roth knows that it is no coincidence. She makes up her mind to do some digging of her own. Is Dr Webb to blame for the murders? Will Roxanne catch the killer before it's too late? How far is the killer willing to go to cover their tracks?

Shira Shiloah is an excellent writer, hooking me from the very first page. The book was very engaging and well-written. All of the characters had unique personalities and flaws without any stereotypical element to them. But most of all, I loved how the author taught me so much about medicine and the atmosphere in the medical industry. Not only did she do a great job in explaining the surgical procedures, but it also made me feel like I was with Dr Roth, in the operating room. This is no surprise, as she is a doctor herself. But explaining intricate procedures to clueless people requires another kind of skill. My hats off to you Shira!

My only request is to slow down the pace of the book. I felt like I was riding an emotional rollercoaster that had no brakes. The author could've described the emotions of the characters a little more. Other than that, this was a splendid novel and I have no complaints after reading it.

The novel is edited professionally and had no errors. However, one important thing to mention is that there is sexual content in this book, although it wasn't too graphic. There is also a lot of profanity. For this reason, this book is not suitable for young readers.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I simply couldn't put the book down! It was not only suspenseful but also educational, making it really addictive. I strongly recommend this to anyone that enjoys thrillers and medical crime.

Emergence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”