Official Review: The Poet by Stephanie Jo Harris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Official Review: The Poet by Stephanie Jo Harris

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Poet" by Stephanie Jo Harris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Poet is a fictional thriller novel written by Stephanie Jo Harris. It is fast-paced and action-packed, making this book difficult to put down. This book is the first instalment of The Poet series and introduces fantastic characters who leave you wanting more.

Rebecca Paige is a thirty-four-year-old administrator of an inpatient psychiatric ward. Her stressful career and problems in her personal life push her to vacation alone in a remote resort, miles away from home. Staying in her neighbouring cabin is Jack Shelley, a mysterious man on a business trip. They spend an evening together drinking wine and talking whilst discovering their undeniable attraction to each other.

Jack leaves the resort for business, and later in the night, armed men take the resort’s guests hostage. The terrified guests fear for their lives, and Rebecca uses her experience from work to stay one step ahead of the armed gang. What is it that the gunmen want? Who is the man they refer to as The Poet? Will the hostages get out alive? This page-turner will uncover mysterious connections and show that love can overcome anything.

I loved the high action, excitement, and mystery in this book. The author allows the reader to feel genuine concern for the situations the characters find themselves in. Also, the author keeps the reader on the edge of their seat by building tension and suspense. The mounting suspense throughout the book would make this book perfect for a film adaptation. There are, however, violent and sexually violent scenes in the book, so it may not be suitable for sensitive readers who could be offended or triggered by this material.

The characters are well written. I especially enjoyed the backstories of the characters and how they became the people they are. I enjoyed reading about their flaws, insecurities, and conflicts, which makes the characters more relatable. I was pleasantly surprised by the bravery shown by Rebecca, she’s an intelligent character, but with little confidence, so I appreciated her courage and inner strength that was within her when she needed it.

Although the book lies in the thriller genre, there is an underlying love story that is a fantastic addition. The relationship is beyond logic, but love conquers all the apprehension and fears, which gives the book a softer edge. I also enjoyed the heartwarming relationship between a priest and a troubled young boy, providing another part of the story where kindness and love prevail.

I didn’t find anything to dislike about this book, and I didn’t find any spelling or grammar errors, so I believe the book is exceptionally edited. I was captivated by the story, and I liked the complex and unique characters. I enjoyed the action scenes, and I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The book is only suitable for adult readers due to the graphic material.

The Poet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a thriller that offers much more than your usual action-packed story of that genre with all those elements well mixed-up. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nimel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nimel »

I am seriously looking forward to following this thriller, the combination of love violence and action will really be addictive to read. Nice review
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

The poet? I thought it must be related to poetry or something like that 😅. But it's thriller, your review made me curious, I do wanna read this one now. Thank you for such a intriguing, descriptive and lovely review!!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Sounds like a good book!
I like action-packed adventure stories.
I haven't read enough thrillers in a while.
Thanks for the review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

Action, romance, thrillers. All of my favourites packed into one. Can't wait to lay my hands on this book and allow my eyes to delight in the content. Thank you for piquing my interest.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The review is interesting and intriguing. I am eager to read the book.
Anant Khedkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anant-khedkar.html

Post by Anant Khedkar »

Sounds like an interesting book, romance and action combined. Can't wait to go through this book. Thanks for the review!
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

The book’s fast pace, high action, and mystery, among other things, put it right up my alley. I also like that it has a strong female lead. Thanks for your splendid review.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”