Official Review: The Connubial Corpse by Thomas J. Thorson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Official Review: The Connubial Corpse by Thomas J. Thorson

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Connubial Corpse" by Thomas J. Thorson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Connubial Corpse by Thomas J. Thorson is a mystery novel not to be missed!

When a diligent student starts missing classes, Vinn grows suspicious. She quickly ensures her best friend and fellow amateur sleuth, Malcom, is filled in on the details and he reluctantly gets dragged along on what turns out to be a much bigger deal than he would have ever guessed. There is an underworld of very bad people residing in Chinatown causing havoc. Malcom and Vinn quickly decide that it is up to them to find out who it is and to ensure they are captured and prevented from spreading further fear amongst the community. With the help from a few of their friends and alliances from their past, they manage to put together a rag-tag team of vigilantes.

Written from a first-person perspective through Malcom’s eyes, the mystery remains exciting and creative throughout the book. Thorson manages to throw a few magnificent curveballs. I found the writing to be descriptive and alluring. His character development was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the relationship growth between Malcom and Vinn. Each supporting character also had unique personalities and fitting roles within the story.

My favorite aspect of the book was the variety of food that was introduced and the love the main character portrayed as he described the dishes, how it smells, and tastes, and their enjoyment of it. Of course, I cannot go without mentioning the array of different teas that I was introduced to, as it was Malcom’s favorite drink of choice.

What I disliked about the book was that the supporting character Maggie played a major part in the investigation, but did not get any recognition in the end. To some extent, it felt like the author forgot about her in the final chapters.

Although there is mention of profanity and intimacy, there is almost no actual profanity and no detailed sexual content in the book. There were also very few spelling and grammar errors to report, which leads me to believe that the book was indeed very well edited. The title and storyline would also make you think that there would be gruesome details, but I am happy to say that that was also not the case.

With all the above mentioned in mind, I believe this book deserves a solid 4 out of 4 stars, and recommend it to murder mystery fans of ages 14 and up.

The Connubial Corpse
View: on Bookshelves
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This book sounds alluring, not to mention the dishes seem tasty. I would have a hard time reading it without sampling the foods mentioned. Great review
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I was attracted by the Cover and the title felt creepy. Then It's a mystery what happened to the diligent student. Oh, poor Maggi, She should have been given the credit which she deserved. Thank you for a great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing mystery with well-developed characters and an original angle in the food element. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

The cover art and title are certainly attention-grabbing. This sounds like a fascinating murder mystery novel that fans of the genre are sure to enjoy. Splendid review!
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Da Rafi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-da-rafi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Da Rafi »

Sounds very interesting, I will enjoy every plot, thanks for the great review
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds like a thoroughly entertaining mystery. I’d be very interested to know how it turns out. Thanks for the great review
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Sounds like the perfect mystery book to me.
I like that it's "clean", without too much profanity or sexual content.
Thanks for the review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”