Official Review: Plateau by Marc R. Hunter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Plateau by Marc R. Hunter

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Plateau" by Marc R. Hunter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In 1926, Pinkerton Todd was preparing to leave Belgium on a train, which was the first leg of his journey back to his home in America. He was waiting for his friend Hans to arrive to retrieve a package that Hans had left with him. Pinkerton finally observed his friend hurrying towards him. As he watched in disbelief, Hans was intercepted by two men and, upon trying to escape, was stabbed in the back. The train immediately departed from the station, and Pinkerton was confused about what to do with the package. Upon opening it, he was astonished by what he discovered.

In 1991, Dr. Michael Hartford was at a basketball game with his brother Charles and two co-workers when Charles received a message that his store had been broken into. As Michael and Charles left the arena to go see about the burglary, they were accosted in the parking garage by four men attempting to kidnap them. After managing to escape, Michael discovered that his office had been broken into, and his grandfather’s journal had been stolen. Originally, the book had been taken to work to make copies of it. While reading a copy of the journal, Michael noticed an entry about a cryptic riddle given to his grandfather by his friend Pinkerton Todd, involving the possibility of buried treasure. The more he tried to ascertain what’s going on, the more endangered Michael became.

Plateau by Marc R. Hunter is a thrilling 305-page novel listed in the C/T/M/H genre; there is also some intermixed romance for readers who enjoy love stories. The action starts promptly with Pinkerton witnessing the abduction and possible murder of his friend. Then, the story continues with one suspenseful scene after another with just enough time in between to catch one’s breath. The prose is descriptive and easy to understand. The author has thoughtfully placed several drawings of maps throughout the book, which helps with comprehending what is taking place during that part of the story.

The importance of family and friends comes through in the novel. The Hartfords are a large family, and the reader gets to know most of them during the book. Their verbal sparring and competitive nature feel realistic and can elicit smiles. Michael had to rely on his family and several friends for help during the story.

If you are seeking a book that has clues to a treasure hunt that you can try to figure out as it proceeds, I need to provide a warning: for most people, that probably won’t happen. The clues were well planned, and everything was explained in detail by the end of the book. However, the puzzle was quite mystifying, and even after it was explained, I was still uncertain about the trigonometry involved. However, the action and suspense in the book more than made up for this confusion.

I was left with a few minor questions at the end of the book. For example, why didn’t Michael consult with his grandfather about his journal since he had probably spent time trying to decipher Pinkerton’s clues in the past? My questions were probably not that significant to the story, but they bothered me and could have easily been answered.

Regrettably, I discovered too many errors to award it four stars. It could use one more round of editing. Because of the errors and the unanswered questions, Plateau achieves a rating of three out of four stars. I felt it was too well written and exciting for a two-star rating. I enthusiastically recommend it for readers who enjoy thrilling adventure novels. A few mild profanities and some violence were encountered in the story, so if readers wish to avoid these things, they should probably look elsewhere.

Plateau
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

A clear and candid review. I would love to check it myself.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

Ham's stabbing caught me. Crime fiction? Great!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

A mixture of mystery, action and romance can always count on my vote. Thanks for the good review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kanchan Sharma wrote: 15 May 2021, 01:17 A clear and candid review. I would love to check it myself.
I hope you get a chance to. I think you would enjoy it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Piece Nkem wrote: 15 May 2021, 03:56 Ham's stabbing caught me. Crime fiction? Great!
It was a fascinating story. Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

markodim721 wrote: 15 May 2021, 05:57 A mixture of mystery, action and romance can always count on my vote. Thanks for the good review.
I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Oh! This story sounds kind of like National Treasure. I like treasure-hunting stories with historical aspects, so this book appeals to me.

Thank you for an excellent review!
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 16 May 2021, 17:48 Oh! This story sounds kind of like National Treasure. I like treasure-hunting stories with historical aspects, so this book appeals to me.

Thank you for an excellent review!
:tiphat:
This sounds like the perfect story for you then! I hope you get a chance to read it!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Seems like an intriguing story with plenty of action. Thanks for the great review!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging thriller full of action and suspense to keep the readers' attention until the end, so I hope the author follows your recommendation about another round of editing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 17 May 2021, 08:25 Seems like an intriguing story with plenty of action. Thanks for the great review!
It was, indeed! I appreciate you reading my review and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

NetMassimo wrote: 17 May 2021, 10:00 This seems like an engaging thriller full of action and suspense to keep the readers' attention until the end, so I hope the author follows your recommendation about another round of editing. Thank you for your great review!
I hope so too. Thanks for your comments. I appreciate them!
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

A book with mystery that gives the reader clues. I’m in. It’s too bad that there are so many errors but it doesn’t seem to have impacted your enjoyment of the story. Thanks for the great review!
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Rwill0988 wrote: 18 May 2021, 14:14 A book with mystery that gives the reader clues. I’m in. It’s too bad that there are so many errors but it doesn’t seem to have impacted your enjoyment of the story. Thanks for the great review!
It wouldn't take much to fix the errors; there were just more than are allowed, though. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate the comments!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”