Official Review: Frozen Harvest by Joseph Benedict

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Frozen Harvest by Joseph Benedict

Post by Michele H »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Frozen Harvest" by Joseph Benedict.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Joel, a private investigator in Minneapolis, is at a crossroads in his life when he receives a mysterious letter about a cold case from 1925. Joel is intrigued, especially since this missing person’s case occurred in a nearby town his family frequented in his youth. His inner curiosity takes over, and he heads to Seven Lakes, Minnesota, to find out what the mystery letter writer knows about the disappearance of Mary Benton.

Upon arriving in Seven Lakes, Joel is disappointed to discover that the author of the letter has dementia and can no longer communicate. As Joel begins to uncover some clues, more questions develop. Who was Mary Benton, and why did she come to Seven Lakes? Did she get caught in the snowstorm of 1925, or did someone harm her? As Joel unravels the clues, he also can’t help but wonder if Mary’s disappearance has to do with the local legend of the Ice Lady. Joel begins to lose all hope of finding out what really happened to Mary and finds himself in danger, all while a big storm is once again brewing in Seven Lakes.

This is by far my favorite of all the books I have read from the Online Book Club. It is a present-day mystery intertwined with historical fiction. It is a page-turner that keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire book. I liked the fact that the book bounced back and forth between the present day and the events in 1925. Benedict is a talented author with a gift for executing a complex, well-thought-out, plotted storyline. He is also spot on with his character development.

I don’t have any negative criticism of this book. However, I did discover one minor flaw. At one point, the main character lost his cell phone as part of the plot but had it again without explanation shortly after. Additionally, I was disappointed that there was not one more narrative from Mary’s point of view before the ending to add further detail. I realize that this was likely done by the author on purpose, but I felt the ending was abrupt. The momentum could have been extended slightly longer. These are mere points of interest for the author and in no way deteriorated my overall enjoyment of the novel.

This book has been professionally edited, as I only identified a handful of errors. It contains no profanity. Due to some violence and adult themes, this book would not be recommended for young adults. I enthusiastically rate Frozen Harvest, by Joseph Benedict, 4 out of 4 stars. This is the kind of book where you find yourself thinking about the characters long after you put the book down. It is a fantastic, suspense-filled mystery that I recommend to anyone who loves a riveting thriller.

Frozen Harvest
View: on Bookshelves
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

That’s exciting that you enjoyed this so much. It sounds interesting and the idea of the Ice Lady has me intrigued. Thanks for the great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing mystery based on a cold case with a sophisticated storyline. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

Sounds like adventure. I like the plot already and would want to read this book. Thanks for your amazing review.
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the spider web-like plot. I am definitely interested in seeing the book in my own hands. Thanks for the good review.
lilstarkk518
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lilstarkk518 »

Ya sounds great having the solving questions thing is quite sticking to the story point I like it would love to read it .
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love cold-case stories! Your enthusiastic description of the author's writing ability only served to make me want to read this book even more. Great review! Thanks.
Da Rafi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-da-rafi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Da Rafi »

It seems that a lot of things happened in the story of this book that made me want to read this book, thank you for this great review
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

It looks like something I would love to read. As the plot sounds mysterious, I would be exciting read for me. Thank you for your amazing review.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

An engaging present-day mystery intertwined with historical fiction certainly sounds like a compelling read. Great review.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

It was interesting and well-detailed review. Would love to read this book soon.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”