Official Review: Hamlet in Baltimore by Pavel Cerny

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: Hamlet in Baltimore by Pavel Cerny

Post by Josephe-Anne »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hamlet in Baltimore" by Pavel Cerny.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Does art imitate life, or does life imitate art? Hamlet in Baltimore by Pavel Cerny will have you wondering as you lose yourself in this brief but thrilling fictional account. Starring Edgar Allan Poe (the world-renowned poet) and his parents, this book is the first installment of the A Heart Laid Bare Series. In this tale, Edgar’s mother and father are actors in productions of William Shakespeare’s famous plays. While they spend long hours rehearsing each night, five-year-old Edgar amuses himself by exploring the theater and playing with a stray cat that scurries around the building. Unbeknownst to the Poe family, an evil force lurks nearby. As the tragedy unfolds onstage, the drama continues behind the curtain. What will happen to little Edgar as the sinister presence closes in?

Readers are instantly drawn to the simple yet striking cover design. Edgar Allan Poe is featured front and center. Along with his familiar portrait, there is a smaller scene depicting a woman being bitten by a vampire. As a nod to The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, a skull lays next to the bloodsucker’s victim. The images are printed in burgundy ink on a cream background. Although it is categorized in the horror genre, this novella also contains elements of historical fiction; other prominent themes include Shakespearean tragedies, superstitions, paranormal creatures, mystery, suspense, jealousy, and lust. Written in the third-person perspective, the text reads almost like a play. I could see Mr. Cerny’s experience as a playwright shining through from the first lines of the book.

I absolutely love the characters! Each one of them has a unique personality. Mr. David Poe and his wife, Mrs. Elisabeth Poe, have a strained relationship. With a clear age gap between them, Mr. Poe is prone to jealousy when other men admire his young wife’s breathtaking beauty. In addition, his alcohol addiction often leads him to violent fits of rage. Like most toddlers, their son, Edgar, is curious about the world around him. The innocent child does not understand his father’s aggressive actions. Edgar’s nanny, Letitia, reminded me of the slaves’ harsh plight because she is often abused by the master of the house. Mr. Lowell, a fellow thespian, has noble intentions as he seeks to protect the family from the devious creature that is stalking them. Finally, Mr. Reynolds is the strict yet mysterious theater director. He can’t seem to take his eyes off Mrs. Poe.

When it comes to listing everything I enjoyed about this book, where do I begin? First of all, I appreciated the realistic depiction of life during the early 1800s, and due to the author’s engaging writing style, I became engrossed in the story from the first few pages. I also liked the fact that ravens were mentioned in one scene, linking this narrative to Poe’s most famous poem, “The Raven.” Above all, I adored the pencil sketches that were included throughout the book. I loved how the artwork synchronized perfectly with the text. During the story’s climax, one of the drawings was inserted to illustrate what happened without using words. That was a brilliant idea!

Apart from two minor typos, this is a well-written piece of literature. The text contains no profanity, and there are no intimate scenes. Despite the fact that vampire stories are usually quite gory, violent descriptions were kept to a minimum. Brief details of Letitia’s poor treatment were upsetting but not graphic. While some would condemn the inclusion of such scenes, I believe that they accurately reflect the mentality of many people who lived during that era. Furthermore, those pre-abolition scenes brought another level of authenticity to the story. My only critique is that the plot seemed a bit too convenient because the vampire left clues in places where the protagonists (and readers) could easily stumble across them.

Nevertheless, I am pleased to award Hamlet in Baltimore by Pavel Cerny a rating of four out of four stars. I have always been fascinated by the eloquent and melancholy style of Edgar Allan Poe’s works. So, I was elated to read a story with him as a main character. This tale was filled with drama and suspense. Fans of the nineteenth-century poet will not be left disappointed. I highly recommend it to readers who enjoy vampire stories, macabre fiction, and Shakespeare. I can’t wait to read the sequel!

Moderator's Note: This book has since been re-edited and printed on premium paper.

Hamlet in Baltimore
View: on Bookshelves
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

Josephe-Anne has given a very good review about the book. I am really excited to read life of 18 century people. Thanks for your hard work.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m glad you enjoyed reading this so much. It’s so strange to think of Poe as a kid, but this would certainly be a fresh take on his life and work. Thanks for the great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I didn't really get into Edgar Allen Poe when I read it in school. Therefore, this probably isn't the story for me. I can imagine it would be great for those that like his works, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Kanchan Sharma wrote: 14 May 2021, 05:44 Josephe-Anne has given a very good review about the book. I am really excited to read life of 18 century people. Thanks for your hard work.
Thank you so much for your kind words, Kanchan.
😄
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Booklover Becca wrote: 14 May 2021, 15:55 I’m glad you enjoyed reading this so much. It’s so strange to think of Poe as a kid, but this would certainly be a fresh take on his life and work. Thanks for the great review!
Yes, it was an unusual spin on Poe and his parents. Thank you so much for stopping by to leave a comment.
😄
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 May 2021, 14:59 I didn't really get into Edgar Allen Poe when I read it in school. Therefore, this probably isn't the story for me. I can imagine it would be great for those that like his works, though. Thanks.
I understand if you're not a fan of Poe's work. But thank you for commenting anyway.
― Horace Mann
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I remember seeing this book as available for review but I didn't feel I knew enough of Poe's personal story and about that period's history to appreciate it. I'm glad it's developed with consistence in its elements' development. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

NetMassimo wrote: 16 May 2021, 17:08 I remember seeing this book as available for review but I didn't feel I knew enough of Poe's personal story and about that period's history to appreciate it. I'm glad it's developed with consistence in its elements' development. Thank you for your great review!
I didn't know that much about Poe's personal life or this period in history either, but I've always been fascinated by him. I'm so glad I decided to read this book! Now I'm interested in learning more about Poe and American history during the 1800s.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and leaving a comment.
😊
― Horace Mann
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. The combination between Edgar Allan Poe and William Shakespeare can be quite appealing, especially to those who love literature.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This story seems to have a little bit of everything in it with fantasy, horror, and historical fiction. I find it very intriguing. Thanks for a great review!
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Sou Hi wrote: 16 May 2021, 22:06 Thanks for your interesting review. The combination between Edgar Allan Poe and William Shakespeare can be quite appealing, especially to those who love literature.
Yes, it certainly is! Thank you for stopping by to leave a comment.
😄
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Prisallen wrote: 17 May 2021, 08:19 This story seems to have a little bit of everything in it with fantasy, horror, and historical fiction. I find it very intriguing. Thanks for a great review!
You're welcome! Thank you for commenting.
😁
― Horace Mann
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This book sounds adorable! I would have liked to be there with little Edgar, exploring the theater! Thanks for introducing this book and writing such a thorough review.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 19 May 2021, 02:55 This book sounds adorable! I would have liked to be there with little Edgar, exploring the theater! Thanks for introducing this book and writing such a thorough review.
You're welcome! I hope you can get the chance to read it someday.

Thank you for stopping by to leave a comment.
😊
― Horace Mann

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”