Official Review: Never Scot-Free by JC Norton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Never Scot-Free by JC Norton

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Never Scot-Free" by JC Norton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stone Ayers is your perfect man, almost. He is great-looking, athletic, cultured, and a talented IT consultant; enjoys a good salary and perks; and has earned his place as a confidant to his boss and his boss’s family. The only thing wrong with him is his main job, which is to eliminate his boss’s enemies. His Army experience in Afghanistan makes him equal to the task, and he likes the “thrill of the kill.”

In the Prologue, we meet Stone’s new girlfriend, Gudrun, a German naturalist he met on an expedition to Antarctica. They arrange to get together in various locations around the globe as their romance blooms, but Stone does not tell her what he really does for a living. In her eyes, he is just a very rich IT guy.

The mark this time is Peter DelBino, the brother of the boss’s wife, who is suspected of cheating the boss, Dominic Balducci, on drug money. As he is very close to Dominic’s family, including the suspect, Stone agonizes over the possibility of killing Peter. He and Peter are buddies, spending much time together sailing, playing racquetball, and building muscles at the gym. Is Peter cheating Dominic, and will Stone have to kill Peter?

Never Scot-Free is the second book in the Stone Ayers Novels series created by JC Norton. Fans of thrillers will enjoy the tense action scenes, but the hard-core ones may feel shortchanged. There are only a few such episodes, and none are particularly gory. Much of the book delves into the investigation of Peter’s guilt, outlining his computer and phone records. I appreciate that the author invests time in describing the relationships in Stone’s life. There is a tendency to overdo it, though. Much time is spent developing the characters, even down to detailing the interiors of their opulent homes and the workings of their luxurious vehicles.

The love story between Stone and Gudrun is a significant part of the book. The intimate moments are definitely there as the two take a number of “naps,” but the erotic elements are mainly left to the reader’s imagination. They decide to make “Constant Craving” by K.D. Lang their theme song. Do you get my drift?

While I am a crime story junkie myself, I found the other parts of the book generally engaging. I delighted in accompanying the characters as they gallivanted around the world, sailing, visiting high-end restos, and doing what the rich do. It was almost like watching an episode of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. Sadly, I don’t think I can afford to replicate the exhilarating experiences of "the one percent" in my real life.

The author narrates backstories for even the minor characters, so I presume they will continue to appear in the next books. While the book is standalone, these sections may appear unnecessary to non-fans of series. There are also superfluous dialogues in the characters’ interactions: the greetings and farewells take up more pages than necessary.

There were other things that I was not comfortable with. The author focused too much on Stone’s physical attributes, usually depicting him as a desirable male specimen. The morality issue also bordered on the unrealistic: I saw drug dealers and killers getting squeamish about minor ethical matters. However, this might just be me showing my cynicism. I found too many grammatical mishaps, as well.

Crime story fans looking for a series to follow will find this one a good candidate. Techies can debate over the hacking mechanisms described in the book. Those interested in the early stages of romance will likely relish the encounters between Stone and Gudrun. However, I have to mention that the themes of the book are for a mature audience.

Finally, considering the filler material, my personal issues, and the significant number of grammatical flaws, I am giving the book 3 out of 4 stars. I hope the next books will be more to the point. I am not averse to getting better acquainted with Stone Ayers. He may not be Jack Reacher, but I can see him developing into an interesting hero.

Never Scot-Free
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's an informative review!
The story is good and being a rich IT guy with a killer main job, sounds interesting. Travelling the globe to meet, that's romantic. The one percent life is a dream, well in a book it's every second guy making the one percent.
Thank you for the review!
shaove24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaove24.html
Latest Review: Void by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B07WQ1VH72

Post by shaove24 »

Miriam, based on the amount of details you described to be listed in this book I would probably end of skipping around a lot. I prefer being left with some room to add the details with my imagination when I'm reading. It also sounds like there are a lot of moving parts: Stone being a killer and an IT worker who is working to keep his relationship spicy and figure out if Peter is guilty or not... That's a sounds exhausting for one person. Tis life. I hope the next parts of the series have more of an appeal as you stated. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: Void by Tayma Tameem
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

shaove24 wrote: 05 May 2021, 13:53 Miriam, based on the amount of details you described to be listed in this book I would probably end of skipping around a lot. I prefer being left with some room to add the details with my imagination when I'm reading. It also sounds like there are a lot of moving parts: Stone being a killer and an IT worker who is working to keep his relationship spicy and figure out if Peter is guilty or not... That's a sounds exhausting for one person. Tis life. I hope the next parts of the series have more of an appeal as you stated. Thank you for your review.
Well, Stone has the energy for all those things, and a lot more. The author is just warming up.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Kavita Shah wrote: 05 May 2021, 13:03 That's an informative review!
The story is good and being a rich IT guy with a killer main job, sounds interesting. Travelling the globe to meet, that's romantic. The one percent life is a dream, well in a book it's every second guy making the one percent.
I don't know if being part of the one percent will be nice. It might be boring to be able to afford everything. We in the 99% are able to celebrate small victories, like getting huge discounts at a clearance sale. LOL!
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Miriam Molina wrote: 05 May 2021, 19:04
Kavita Shah wrote: 05 May 2021, 13:03 That's an informative review!
I don't know if being part of the one percent will be nice. It might be boring to be able to afford everything. We in the 99% are able to celebrate small victories, like getting huge discounts at a clearance sale. LOL!
😂 😂
Maybe what the 1 percent can never have is the satisfaction of small victories.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Thank you for leaving no "Stone" unturned in this detailed review that helped me to weigh up the pros and cons of this book. The romance sounds intriguing; not sure I'd go for the crime elements so much, though. Very strange that murderers suddenly start micromanaging nitpicky ethical details ...
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 06 May 2021, 05:42 Thank you for leaving no "Stone" unturned in this detailed review that helped me to weigh up the pros and cons of this book. The romance sounds intriguing; not sure I'd go for the crime elements so much, though. Very strange that murderers suddenly start micromanaging nitpicky ethical details ...
I think you will enjoy the furniture, lol! The man on the cover is a friend of the author. I think he's the physical "Stone." The author clarifies that his friend is no killer, though (but may be a ladykiller in the other sense).
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I haven’t read the first one, is it necessary or is there no real chronological order? This is a very well thought out review and I’d be interested to see if he goes through with killing his friend.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Booklover Becca wrote: 06 May 2021, 09:56 I haven’t read the first one, is it necessary or is there no real chronological order? This is a very well thought out review and I’d be interested to see if he goes through with killing his friend.
I wasn't able to read the first book, but I managed fine. I won't tell you what happened to Peter, though. The author might "kill" me! LOL!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite your doubts, this seems like an engaging crime thriller with merits that far outweigh its flaws. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think the tense action scenes are the main quality of the book. Thanks for the good review.
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Stone Ayers sounds like quite the interesting character! I can only imagine how his double lives might overlap and get him into trouble. Hopefully, some editing can be done to fix the errors and excessive descriptions in the book.

Thank you for a fabulous review as always, Miriam.
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This Stone character certainly sounds interesting, a perfect man living a double-life, which eventually gets him into trouble. It distantly reminds me of the movie The Whole Nine Yards, (which was absolutely hilarious!) although this book sounds a lot more serious by nature. Anyway, I enjoyed reading your very detailed review, thanks for the delightful experience!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

I wonder whether Peter was killed or if he survived because it would be impossible to escape Stone Ayers.
This book is a gripping thriller with many charming characters. It's commendable that even the minor characters are written well.
Thanks for writing such a thorough review. It's detailed but doesn't give away the plot.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”