Official Review: Feeding The Beast by Richard Greene

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Feeding The Beast by Richard Greene

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Feeding The Beast" by Richard Greene.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year is 1951, and Dan Morgan is a homicide detective with the Denver Police Department. As a widower who is estranged from his adult son, he leads a lonely life that he fills with his detective work. When a teenage girl is found murdered in a way that seems almost ritualistic, Dan wonders if it might be related to some strange killings that have happened recently in other parts of the Denver area. The case drags on with little headway, and other teenage girls continue to be killed around the city. What makes the case even stranger is that the killer begins contacting Dan directly, and he seems to know him personally. The race is on to identify the killer and bring him to justice before he has a chance to kill again.

Feeding the Beast by Richard Greene is a serial killer crime novel that is set in a time before the term “serial killer” had even been coined. Choosing the 1950s as the time period for the novel made it interesting. The lack of technology prevented easy communication between different police forces, making it more difficult for them to coordinate information and realize what type of killer they were dealing with. The perspective of the book is primarily told from the point of view of Detective Dan Morgan, but it also occasionally switches to that of the killer, allowing the reader to get into his mind. There is also a dash of romance thrown into the book, as Dan’s investigation introduces him to a beautiful widow who catches his interest.

My favorite part of this book was the mystery itself. The serial killer aspect kept me interested, and I appreciated the realistic fashion in which Dan’s case proceeded. There were days of seeming dead ends punctuated by new discoveries and breakthroughs. It felt very authentic to what real detective work would be. A psychologist was called in to give insight into the killer’s mind, which served as a good 1950s precursor to the modern-day criminal profiler. As I got to know a bit more about the killer and his history with Dan, it felt even more urgent that he be caught and brought to justice.

Although the mystery was interesting, the book had several flaws that really hampered my enjoyment. First, the book is in desperate need of a professional editor. It was riddled with typos, and the characters' actions were often communicated in long, compound sentences with inappropriate punctuation. I frequently had to read a sentence twice to understand its meaning. In addition, the case developments were continually broken up by chapters of mundane happenings in the characters’ lives that did nothing to further the plot. Lots of time in the book was wasted on exchanging pleasantries, making coffee, or deciding what to eat for dinner. The characters also had a lot of repetitive thoughts and conversations, making the book very tedious to read. I think cutting out most of the day-in-the-life moments would make the book not only a quicker but a more exciting read.

All in all, I felt that this book had a lot of potential, but because of the issues mentioned above, it was easy to put down and walk away from. I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars, removing one star for the errors and another for the monotonous content. I think that a professional editor could really help streamline the book and allow the mystery aspect to shine. In its current form, I would only recommend this to those who enjoy crime novels and don’t mind slow-paced stories.

Feeding The Beast
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m glad the investigation felt authentic and I’m intrigued by the time setting. Without modern communications it definitely would’ve been more difficult and slower to get information around. Thanks for the great review!
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I appreciate your thoughts about the reading experience. I hope the concerns you raised gets the necessary attention. Thanks for the insights.
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

This book is too dark for me. However, I'll give it a try. Thank you for your hard work.
Elaine LaBonte
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Life Lessons of Wayne
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine-labonte.html
Latest Review: President's Day by Stephen A. Werbel, Ph.D.

Post by Elaine LaBonte »

unamilagra, Much gratitude for the anticipation your review has given me. I just rushed over to Amazon and paid for the kindle version of feeding the beast. I declare myself on vacation until I've read it. Typos, slow moving at times, these are nothing to me in my quest for a great mystery. Based on your review, my rating for myself is 10 out of 10. I'm so glad you detailed both the good and not so good qualities. I'll just copy the book into google doc and run a free spell and grammar check. I'm bubbling over but will stop now, watching for more reviews by unamilagra.
"Soon I'll find the right words, they'll be very simple ..."
Some of the Dharma, by Jack Kerouac
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

Booklover Becca wrote: 07 May 2021, 10:06 I’m glad the investigation felt authentic and I’m intrigued by the time setting. Without modern communications it definitely would’ve been more difficult and slower to get information around. Thanks for the great review!
Yes, the time period made for an interesting story. Thanks for your comment!

sssns wrote: 07 May 2021, 13:09 I appreciate your thoughts about the reading experience. I hope the concerns you raised gets the necessary attention. Thanks for the insights.
I hope so too. Thanks for commenting!

sharon titus wrote: 07 May 2021, 21:46 This book is too dark for me. However, I'll give it a try. Thank you for your hard work.
Thank you for stopping by to comment!

Elaine LaBonte wrote: 08 May 2021, 12:47 unamilagra, Much gratitude for the anticipation your review has given me. I just rushed over to Amazon and paid for the kindle version of feeding the beast. I declare myself on vacation until I've read it. Typos, slow moving at times, these are nothing to me in my quest for a great mystery. Based on your review, my rating for myself is 10 out of 10. I'm so glad you detailed both the good and not so good qualities. I'll just copy the book into google doc and run a free spell and grammar check. I'm bubbling over but will stop now, watching for more reviews by unamilagra.
I hope you enjoy the book! Thanks for your comment!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a crime novel with great potential burdened with some problems that require more editing, so I hope the author will follow your suggestions. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

Feels like something I would read. Thank you for your honest review!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

NetMassimo wrote: 09 May 2021, 05:18 This seems like a crime novel with great potential burdened with some problems that require more editing, so I hope the author will follow your suggestions. Thank you for your honest review!
Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Durgeshwari Dolas wrote: 09 May 2021, 12:52 Feels like something I would read. Thank you for your honest review!
Thanks for commenting!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your honest review. The context of the 50s can be appealing, since there are hardly any machines or techniques to support Dan's case. Still, reading crime novels with unrelated scences about daily lives can be quite boring, especially when those details don't help in solving the mystery.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It certainly sounds as though this book has potential, it just needs some changes to get to its best version. I appreciate your honest and well-written review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

Sou Hi wrote: 16 May 2021, 22:00 Thanks for your honest review. The context of the 50s can be appealing, since there are hardly any machines or techniques to support Dan's case. Still, reading crime novels with unrelated scences about daily lives can be quite boring, especially when those details don't help in solving the mystery.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my review and comment!

Prisallen wrote: 18 May 2021, 18:53 It certainly sounds as though this book has potential, it just needs some changes to get to its best version. I appreciate your honest and well-written review!
Yes, I think this book could be great with some tweaking. Thanks for stopping by!
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

Crime thrillers are my thing and I am certainly intrigued by the premise. I hope the author takes to your constructive criticism. Thanks for your honest review.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Lauren Hanna
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Last to Vanish
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-hanna.html
Latest Review: Mamma & Me by Eloisa B. Lucas

Post by Lauren Hanna »

It seems this book has potential. I like that the author incorporated the perspective of both the detective and the killer. I’m also curious how the detective knows the killer. Unfortunately, I don’t enjoy books that are slow-paced or easy to put down, so I will skip this one. Thank you for your thorough and honest review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”