Official Review: A Single Round by R A Jacobson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: A Single Round by R A Jacobson

Post by OB Brian »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Single Round" by R A Jacobson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jacob wants a truck to impress a girl. Pete wants to be the star quarterback. Tommy will give anything to be with his dead girlfriend, Rebecca, a little while longer, and this unnamed girl will stop at nothing to be a famous actress. A Single Round by R A Jacobson is a compilation of stories in which a moment's decision changes the characters' lives forever.

These and many other individuals head to the crossroads at midnight and meet the Judge─ a thin, neatly dressed man with an intoxicating smile, driving a shiny black 1969 GTO. They all make a deal; their heart's desire in exchange for their SOUL! Your guess is as good as mine (well, mine is no longer a guess) how their stories end.

If you have the most vivid of imaginations and the faintest of hearts, this anthology is one you do not want to read. While the stories are not bloody like the movie franchise "Saw" or frightening like "Evil Dead," they are quite scary. The picturesque description of a good person making an impulsive decision, coupled with a reader's prior knowledge of how the story ends, is horrifying. Did I mention that the Judge has quite a dark sense of humour? It is a wonder I found these tales invigorating. I suppose I am not easily scared.

Through this collection, the author evokes a myriad of emotions in the reader. I was angry at the protagonists for choosing the deal, frustrated that they could not hear me implore them to find another way, empathetic of their plight, fearful as I knew the end of the road they took, and laughing myself to tears at some of the things that transpired. Come to think of it; the funny moments are what I loved most as they allowed me to release my breath.

A Single Round, however, has two things that were not appealing to me. (1) In most of the narrations, a friend of the main character is the one that suggests a visit to the crossroads. I found it a bit redundant. (2) It contains several errors that, though trivial, cannot be ignored and thus call for another round of editing. These issues have warranted the deduction of one star.

That said, I award A Single Round three out of four stars. I recommend it to lovers of horror and thriller novels. Because the stories are somewhat scary, I advise younger readers to steer clear of this read. As for everyone else, if nothing, at least you will learn that experience is not always the best teacher. In some circumstances, learning from experienced people is the wiser choice.

A Single Round
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

4 people in exchange for their wishes agree to give their souls. They have literally sold their souls to the devil. It sounds dark and I would like to learn how it ends. Thanks for an honest review!
OB Brian

Post by OB Brian »

Kavita Shah wrote: 06 May 2021, 00:55 4 people in exchange for their wishes agree to give their souls. They have literally sold their souls to the devil. It sounds dark and I would like to learn how it ends. Thanks for an honest review!
Thanks for your comment.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I hope the author fixes the errors you mentioned because this sounds utterly fascinating. I’d very much like to know what becomes of their lives because I have a feeling it’s not good. Thanks for the great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing compilation with stories that offer some food for thought about the ethical and moral side of the protagonists' choices. I hope the author follows your advice about doing more editing to make it excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
OB Brian

Post by OB Brian »

Booklover Becca wrote: 06 May 2021, 11:58 I hope the author fixes the errors you mentioned because this sounds utterly fascinating. I’d very much like to know what becomes of their lives because I have a feeling it’s not good. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you for the comment
OB Brian

Post by OB Brian »

NetMassimo wrote: 08 May 2021, 15:58 This seems like an intriguing compilation with stories that offer some food for thought about the ethical and moral side of the protagonists' choices. I hope the author follows your advice about doing more editing to make it excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Your thoughtful reply is very much appreciated.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”