Review by Mimi Kenneth -- My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mimi Kenneth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-kenneth.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Review by Mimi Kenneth -- My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by Mimi Kenneth »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Only Sunshine" by Lou Dischler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many are fortunate to have a childhood worth reliving, while some others are forever scarred by the events of their childhood. My only Sunshine by Lou Dischler is a book that tells the childhood story of Charlie, a 9-year old boy who had a dysfunctional childhood background.

Charlie is subjected to a harsh childhood upbringing. He had to endure getting bullied and looked down upon by students and his teacher. As a result of this coupled with the fact that he didn't quite understand what was being taught in school, he hated going to school. A frightening event then happened one day. A missile was predicted to hit Red Church, Charlie's hometown. This sent the whole town into a panic. Charlie manages to find shelter with the Guillory twins in the Mayor's house.The twins then suggest that they drink whisky and play a game of strip poker. Charlie is then arrested the next morning, and charged with rape and other crimes. Grab a copy of this book to find out if Charlie is guilty of the crimes he is charged with, and what fate eventually befalls him.

I found this book very intriguing, and the storyline very compelling. The writer was able to express the thoughts of the characters. The events that occurred in the book was also very detailed and properly arranged. The book had excellent character development. One character I really liked was Charlie. His childhood story was portrayed very well, and this gave the book a real-life setting. The plot of the book also included the adventure of Charlie's uncle, Dan and his girlfriend, Lona. Their escapades gave a very thrilling feeling, and spiced the story with action and suspense.

There was absolutely nothing I found wrong in this book. Everything was perfect. I like the way the author portrayed Charlie as a normal child as opposed to portraying him in a special or ordinary manner. He was a growing child who only had his grandparents to set good examples for him to learn from. Another thing I loved was that despite the imperfection of the members of his family, they still loved him and his brother and did what they could for them to the best of their abilities.

The book was professionally and exceptionally edited as I couldn't find any errors. The author style of writing was engaging, and his use of literary techniques was magnificent. I am therefore rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of comedy and thrillers.

My Only Sunshine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”