Official Review: The Exfiltrator by Garner Simmons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: The Exfiltrator by Garner Simmons

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Exfiltrator" by Garner Simmons.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Exfiltrator by Garner Simmons is a thriller that follows an undercover CIA agent, Michael Corbett, and his role in maintaining the peace in Najaf, Iraq. Ahmed Abdul-Qadir al-Bakr, the leader of the newly formed Iraqi coalition government, has just been attacked and severely wounded, as ISIS hopes to destabilize Najaf and take control. Ahmed's son, Tariq, is primed to take his father's place in the event of his death; however, Tariq has been missing in Spain, information that Jihadists led by Jarral hope to exploit to find and kill Tariq. Corbett must now make his way to the Basque mountains under the guise of an archaeologist, his undercover profession, to find and exfiltrate Tariq while putting aside his emotions since Tariq is now in a relationship with his former lover, Amaia.

I enjoyed reading The Exfiltrator and liked that it was well written. The author employs the third-person narrative approach throughout the story, and right from the start, we are thrust into the conflict that forms the basis of the story. While similar conflicts have been explored in other books, the author includes fresh, intriguing features through the unique characters while exploring 15th-century Islamic history and 32,000 BCE in Spain. Garner Simmons also puts a lot of effort into the archaeological parts of the story as Corbett enlists a few interns and other professionals to explore an ancient cave. Readers can also expect a few intriguing discoveries here.

I found it interesting to see how Corbett would deal with having to save his former friend, Tariq, especially with the complications surrounding Amaia. Corbett wasn't entirely innocent in everything that transpired, however, and watching him in a constant battle with his demons created a lot of uncertainties that kept me excited to see how they would unfold.

The author also does a brilliant job with the characters, as there is a lot of depth to the characters, especially Corbett. We even get to peek into the minds of the terrorists to understand their views on religion and its flaws. My favorite aspect of the book has to be the author's execution of the action scenes, which I quickly got accustomed to early in the story and kept me at the edge of my seat. A very determined villain and a highly skillful protagonist meant that these scenes were numerous and there was always danger, and Garner Simmons went into detail in describing these scenes.

The book is exceptionally well edited, which improved my enjoyment of this fast-paced novel. I cannot think of anything I dislike about the book. Therefore, I rate The Exfiltrator four out of four stars. Readers who enjoy fast-paced thrillers and adventure novels will love this book. If you enjoy archeology novels, you will enjoy this book too. The profanity and sexual content in the book mean that it is only suitable for a mature audience.

The Exfiltrator
View: on Bookshelves
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

Books about undercover CIA agents always present an interesting read. I'll check this out.

Brilliant review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thanks for the review! It's interesting to think about being undercover in foreign lands to complete a mission.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds so suspenseful. It’s made all the better by having a well-developed plot and characters. Thanks for the great review!
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

Undercover storries are always thrilling.Especially where a son takes over in the event of a father's death.Thanks for the great review.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

The book seems to have packed a lot into it. Suspense, romance, history and archaeology. Glad to read that the author does a good job of incorporating all of these seamlessly. Thank you for this review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging fast-paced thriller with an intriguing archeological element, all well mixed up. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

There are some intriguing twists in this novel. I liked that you referenced the author's knowledge of the history of the setting and the facts that he included in the book. Great review!
Oluwapelumi A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-a.html
Latest Review: Jane Grace: Library of Light by Trace Sonnleitner

Post by Oluwapelumi A »

Suspense, suspense! Love to see it!
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Thriller, mystery, suspense who want like to read it a great review. Seems like a great book too. Hope to read this soon.
S T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-t.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by S T »

An undercover CIA agent and a war backdrop seems to be a factually inclining plot. Novels with a hint of reality are always appealing. The review sheds light on the positive aspects of the book and makes it a wonderful read. Thank you.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Thanks for the great review! This book sounds like it is action-packed throughout! However, books about terrorists don't interest me. There is too much of that in today's world, so I don't care to read about more! I am sure those who enjoy this type of novel will love this one based on your review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Clurrence Mogaka 1
Currently Reading: Out and Back: A Runner's Story of Survival Against All Odds
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Clurrence Mogaka 1 »

Am yet to read this book but just thesumamry makes me want to read it and understand the evils which has made the middle eastern countries to be in continuous war among themselves. The review is excellent and it did catch my attention to go and grab that book. I would love how it unfolds and how things turn out. All I anticipate is, Iraq will be back to peaceful state it should have always had.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This sounds like an exciting thriller, with the protagonist's cover as being an archeologist. Your review is very clear and precise. Thanks.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I like that this book explores Islamic history, of which I don't know much about. You're right in that it adds a new dimension to an over-explored topic. I've also always wondered what happens in a person's mind to become a terrorist, so I guess this book offers an interesting insight on that.
Thank you for your perfectly-crafted review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”