Official Review: Sinker by George P Farrell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Official Review: Sinker by George P Farrell

Post by Fazzier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sinker" by George P Farrell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sinker is a gripping crime novel written by George P. Farrell. Robby Burke and his uncle, John “Snipe” Burke, have been invited to help in salvaging a cargo that had accidentally dropped in the sea. The cargo belongs to Adil Ibrahim, an affluent Egyptian-American ex-soldier, and is believed to be containing millions of US dollars in cash. During the salvage mission, however, Robby and Snipe change their minds, and they decide to escape with the cargo. Consequently, a shootout breaks out. Unfortunately, amid the pandemonium, Robby gets seriously injured, and his uncle rushes him to Bronx Hospital and deposits him there before proceeding to an undisclosed destination to hide the life-changing treasure. At the same time, Adil has commenced a search to retrieve the good. He unleashes his gang to aid in the covert operation. However, unbeknown to him, other parties have also gotten wind of the money and are also in pursuit of it – an opportunity to get rich quickly. With the number of interested parties increasing, will the cargo land in the hands of its rightful owner? But one thing was for sure. Many undeserving people were going to pay the price, and the greatest shock – not related to the money – awaited them all.

I greatly enjoyed this book and liked how it was well-executed. Sinker began in a suspense-filled way, making a reader want to know more. Early enough, the author presented the characters’ motives and the main conflict, and this enabled me to determine the direction the story would take, a direction that was never predictable and contained pleasantly surprising plot twists. I also liked the fact that the scenes and the characters were vividly described, creating long-lasting mental pictures. The author exquisitely alternated between action scenes and plot development, and all were done in ways that kept me at the edge of my seat in anticipation of what would transpire thereafter. Additionally, I loved how the interested parties kept on expanding, how the characters were unpredictable, and how everyone was a potential foe. Most of the characters’ actions took me by a surprise. Furthermore, I couldn't help but notice the author's vast knowledge of sea navigation, and this made the story have that natural, lifelike appeal. Those, together with the wonderful arrangement of events and satisfactory wrap-up, enhanced my enjoyment of this story.

My favorite aspect of this book was how well the author depicted the characters. They were distinct, diverse, relatable, and their roles were clearly and thoughtfully defined. The main characters had capabilities that got the job done. Likewise, the supporting characters were also introduced at perfect moments, and after their usefulness had ended, eliminated at perfect junctures, too. These further enhanced my enjoyment of this well-crafted, terrific novel.

All in all, I did not find anything to dislike about this book. I believe it was professionally edited since I found no grammatical errors or anything distracting. I am, therefore, glad to award Sinker by George P. Farrell 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to fans of action-packed crime stories, with interesting, diverse, and well-developed characters. On the other hand, it contains graphic depictions of violence and adult content, making me believe it is unsuitable for younger readers. So, except for those not into the genre and can be affected by the aforementioned, I can't find any other person who may consider skipping this.

Sinker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

What was the shock that's awaits them? It's an intriguing and suspense filled story. Thank you for a Great review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Classic idea of the guys run off with the loot, but I’m very interested to see any twists in it. Thanks for the great review!
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

This book sounds like a movie especially where robby gets seriously injured and snipe rush him to the hospital.The search mission also makes it sound more movie like.Otherwise the story in intriguing and engaging.Thanks for the great review.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

This makes for an interesting read. I find it interesting how Rob and John thought they would be able to get away with it. Glad to read the author does a good job of keeping the book engaging. Thank you for a lovely review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a terrific action-packed novel with well-constructed characters that increase the readers' engagement. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”