Official Review: Whatever It Takes by Heaton Wilson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: The Martisian Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Seeds of Akara by David LaPiana

Official Review: Whatever It Takes by Heaton Wilson

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whatever It Takes" by Heaton Wilson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whatever It Takes by Heaton Wilson is a police procedural set in Ashbridge, a suburb of the British city of Manchester. When Jamie Castleton is found dead in an internet cafe, Detective Chief Inspector (DCI) Jane Birchfield has her hands full, as there's no clear evidence that points to the cause of his death, and the internet cafe belongs to a big company. The situation gets quickly complicated when Jamie's mother starts telling the police that her son was behaving in strange ways and seemed to be hiding something.

When Jamie's death is ruled a murder, Jane Birchfield is under pressure. She's working as the Acting Chief Superintendent because her boss, who's also her mentor, is dying, and she's having problems in her love life. The investigation seems to become increasingly complicated, as evidence indicates that Jamie was hacking the internet cafe's system to get into its owner's online gambling services.

This is the second DCI Jane Birchfield novel. You don't need to read the first one, Every Reason, as the two novels are about totally different cases. Some details from the second novel indicate that it's set about three years after the first one, and a lot of things changed in the protagonist's life during that time.

This novel is not an action-packed thriller, so if you're looking for that kind of story, this one is not for you. This is the story of a police investigation conducted through hard work in the search for evidence that might point to the culprit. There are some intense action moments, but mostly it's about looking into Jamie's life and activities and talking to persons of interest and possible witnesses.

An interesting choice by the author is in the parts of the novel that follow some of the persons of interest, so we get to know them a bit. Together with the police, readers can try to understand who of them might be the murderer or murderers. Those parts are cleverly written to avoid giving away too much too soon, so it takes time to understand if any of them has any secrets.

Character development is a strong point of this novel, especially concerning DCI Jane Birchfield and her team. They all have their own personalities that make them look like real people. Jane is particularly well developed, with strengths and weaknesses, everyday problems, inner struggles, and a complicated relationship with her partner Allan.

I have to say that I didn't really care about the problems between Jane and Allan, but it's a personal feeling. I'm OK with character developments that include their private lives, it's just that I'm not interested in personal drama, particularly in this type of novel. To be fair, Heaton Wilson developed that part of the story in a way that links her personal story with her professional story, so other readers might consider it another positive element.

The plot is tightly connected to Internet activities, including hacking, but you don't need to be an expert to understand them. Jane Birchfield and most of her team have a superficial knowledge of Internet technologies, so there's one technician who explains the complex bits in simple terms.

Jane Birchfield's team's investigation goes deep into the darkest sides of the Internet. Heaton Wilson doesn't go into details of criminal activities that use the Internet, but there are explicit mentions of the worst of the worst such as paedophile activities. In my opinion, this makes it suitable for adult readers.

The book contains a few errors, mostly punctuation errors that didn't detract from my enjoyment, as normally I wouldn't even notice them. My only complaint about Whatever It Takes is very subjective while its merits seem objective to me, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. If you like police procedurals that are cleverly constructed, I recommend both DCI Jane Birchfield novels. I recommend this one in particular if you're interested in the use and abuse of modern technologies.

Whatever It Takes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by Kavita Shah »

Its sounds like a good investigation story especially the part about following up of the person of interest. It's a case for the readers to solve with Jane. Great Review!
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Booklover Becca »

I love a good murder mystery and the fact that it isn’t simply action packed makes it more realistic. Thanks for the honest review!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Kavita Shah wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 09:39 Its sounds like a good investigation story especially the part about following up of the person of interest. It's a case for the readers to solve with Jane. Great Review!
Yes, part of the fun is trying to figure things out with Jane's team. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Booklover Becca wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 09:41 I love a good murder mystery and the fact that it isn’t simply action packed makes it more realistic. Thanks for the honest review!
You can appreciate the team's hard work to examine the clues and question every person of interest. Thank you for commenting!
Massimo
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Asteroid Apophis Lord of Chaos by John S. Pritchett

Post by Kennedy NC »

This seems like an intriguing mirder plot and I would definitely love to get my hands on this book. Great review.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Kennedy NC wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 14:47 This seems like an intriguing mirder plot and I would definitely love to get my hands on this book. Great review.
It's a plot with various ramifications that get discovered throughout the investigation and make the novel intriguing. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Suzer6440 xyz
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

This sounds like a good investigation story , thanks for your great review
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Trigger Warning by Charlie Hayden Hicks

Post by MarianaFigueira »

This sort of reminds me of The Dark Web Murders, which I absolutely love, so it sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the objective and insightful review!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

I love stories about crime investigation and this is no exception. Your brilliant review has already drawn me to the story.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 17:32 This sounds like a good investigation story , thanks for your great review
Yes, if you're into this kind of story, it's great. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 21:34 This sort of reminds me of The Dark Web Murders, which I absolutely love, so it sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the objective and insightful review!
I haven't read The Dark Web Murders, so I can't tell if there are any similarities beyond the subject, but I hope you'll love this one as well. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

GoodLuck ES wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 01:05 I love stories about crime investigation and this is no exception. Your brilliant review has already drawn me to the story.
This novel seems perfect for your taste. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
TheMazeRunner
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Think Big Scale Fast by Jolien Demeyer

Post by TheMazeRunner »

I would love to read the book. It seems very suspenseful. Nice and compact review!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 03:41 I would love to read the book. It seems very suspenseful. Nice and compact review!
There is suspense, but the author doesn't rely on that and offers much more with the investigation. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”