Official Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unyielding Destiny" by Spiros Gratsias.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shortly after his parents pass away, Frank is taken in by the Cabineri family, a reputable mafia family in New York. While with the Cabineris, he is raised to eventually succeed Don Cabineri as the head of the crime family. Frank grows to become a made man, and his undying loyalty to the family sees him incarcerated several times. While doing time at Alcatraz, Frank meets Scott, the son of Roy Easten, a man who died while saving him during the war in Korea.

He later escapes Alcatraz and slinks away to New York. Here he starts a new life with a new face and identity while remaining tied to his family. Frank remains occupied by the debt he owes Scott's father and is still unable to shake off the guilt he feels concerning his death. Years later, after Frank ascends to the responsibility of don and starts seeking to right the wrongs done to his family, he crosses paths with Scott again. But this time, it's different—Scott is now a trained attorney who is set on seeing the days of the Cabineri family come to an end. It isn't long before fate puts Frank in a position to choose between repaying his debt to Roy by saving Scott or fulfilling his duties as the head of the Cabineris family. What choice does he make? What are the details of the relationship between Frank and Scott? How does Scott go about his plan to bring down the Cabineri family? Does he succeed?

Spiros Gratsias weaves a thrilling and exciting tale in this book, Unyielding Destiny, a tale revolving around Frank, the mafia, and Scott. Depicting both themes of loyalty and humanity, Spiros shows the similarities and differences between Frank and Scott, two individuals fighting for their type of justice. He creatively interprets how both were shaped by their upbringing and experiences while further using other characters to deepen and shape the story.

Between the workings of the mafia family, the Korean War, the ascendancy of Frank, and Scott's planned retribution, there was sufficient tension and drama in this story to keep me reading. I liked the author's detailed descriptions of places and actions, which made visualizing the story easy. Places like Alcatraz, New York, and San Francisco were good examples of the author's descriptive prowess.

What I liked most about the book was the author's use of the Sicilian language. This added depth to the mafia aspects of this tale and made them more convincing. It also helped shine the light on the brotherhood shared in the mafia and how humane they still were, even with the atrocities they had committed.

The one thing I didn't like was the confusion in the moments of transition in the book. There were points in the story where it was difficult to tell when the author shifted from narrating in the present to talking about a past event or even a dream. An example of this was on page 255, after Daballia receives a message from Frank. The transition from there to Frank's dreams was quite disorganized.

This book went through some solid rounds of professional editing as I didn't find one instance of grammar or typo errors, which is rare. I give Unyielding Destiny a rating of 3 out of 4 stars, not only because of how exceptionally well it was edited but also because of the author's descriptive abilities, which brought to life each scene in my imagination. Unfortunately, the transition confusion means I can't give it a higher rating. I recommend this book to any lover of suspense and crime stories, especially if you like stories about the mafia and crime families.

Unyielding Destiny
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It seems like a very interesting book regarding a quite interesting period of time, in terms of the things going on, that it's going to appeal to the casual reader. I would be very interested to gain an insight into Sicilian slang. Thanks for the insight!
Ondijo Junior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ondijo-junior.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Ondijo Junior »

wow, i guess i'll be learning languages just at a sit, this must be amazing books thanks for sharing.
Absenc Of Evidence, is Never an Evidence Of Absence
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Your review leaves me wanting to know the decision that Scott took. Very intriguing plot. Wil definitely check this one out.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

The plot sounds quite enjoyable. It would be lovely to find out how Frank and Scott end up dealing with their need for justice. Thanks for this review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting novel that offers some insights about mafia. With some more editing to fix the confusing bits, it might be excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Frank is indebted to Scotts father who is dead. Scott wants to end the Carbineri rule and Frank is in dilemma. The plot is intriguing. Great review!
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

I love mafia tales. They are unconventional. I hope it lives up to its hype cause I'm so adding it to my read list.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

This would seems like an interesting read. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

The plot sounds great. Thanks for your review
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Well, the storyline seems interesting, I must commend. Reading about Mafias can be really exciting. Great review.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Thanks for the review. The plot is interesting and captivating. I look forward to reading it.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

The storyline is truly intriguing. Seems Frank is stuck between carrying out his duty as a mafia and repaying his debt to Scott. I just hope he makes the right decision.
kayou yassine
Currently Reading: Journey to Monster Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayou-yassine.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Post by kayou yassine »

Well, the storyline seems interesting, I must commend it. Reading about Mafias can be really exciting
Mitchayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mitchayo.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Post by Mitchayo »

Yes, the book is a most read

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”