Official Review: The Confession by Debra Ison

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller

Official Review: The Confession by Debra Ison

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Confession" by Debra Ison.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matthew Brooks was a spoiled, narcissistic dentist who was in danger of losing his business and his home because of an unpleasant divorce and gambling debts. He was shocked when Sylvia, his dental assistant, approached him and informed him that her husband, Ron, had assaulted her for years and lately had started beating their children as well. Because Ron had several policemen friends, they wouldn’t help her. She offered Matthew half of the insurance money if he would kill her husband. After consideration, he encouraged Ron to visit the office for some dental work to implement his plan.

Matthew and Sylvia each possessed signed confessions to ensure one of them didn’t accuse the other if they got caught. Sylvia hid Matthew’s letter in a concealed compartment in an old desk and forgot about it. The desk was given away and then sold. The rush is on to recover the letter before someone else finds it.

In the meantime, Matthew meets Caroline while gambling in Vegas, and they seem to have an instant connection. Because of her, he is turning his life around. However, she possesses a secret of her own that is putting their welfare in danger.

The Confession by Debra Ison is a 380-page mystery with lots of suspense and a dash of romance mixed in. It is written predominantly from Matthew’s third-person point of view. The imaginative plot is descriptive and easy to understand. I appreciate there are only a few mild profanities and no explicit sex scenes. The tale begins promptly with the information about Matthew’s gambling and debt problems and the proposal from his assistant. Then, tension picks up after they come under scrutiny by a detective convinced that they are hiding something. Due to the missing letter and also because of Caroline’s dangerous secret, the suspense continues until the surprise ending.

Although the plot was intriguing, there were a few problems for me. To begin with, I found it a little hard to believe that an addicted gambler, who had spent his life thinking only of himself, could suddenly alter his whole personality after meeting someone. I do believe people can change but not as rapidly as Matthew did. His character could have been fleshed out better to make it more believable. Another issue involved a security guard who was injured after being attacked. Although the police were trying to collect evidence to convict the culprit, who was responsible for several crimes, the security guard and his injuries seemed to have been completely forgotten. In addition to this, too many errors were encountered in the story. The majority of these had to do with missing or misused quotation marks, although there were a few other problems as well.

Because of the previous issues, The Confession receives a rating of three out of four stars. It is recommended for readers who would enjoy an entertaining light mystery/romance. However, they need to be able to overlook the believability concern and the errors to enjoy it. Because I appreciated the plot and thought the story was suspenseful and entertaining, I felt it was worth more than two stars.

The Confession
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

I've always been against abusive relationships but murdering the abuser sounds so grave to me. That shouldn't be the best bet. Interesting storyline. Great review.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by Kavita Shah »

Sylvia asks for Matthew's help to kill Ron. Did they succeed? Intriguing story. I am adding it to my want to read shelf. Thanks for your review!
TheMazeRunner
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Think Big Scale Fast by Jolien Demeyer

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Wow! I would like to read this book. It seems thrilling. Thanks for an amazing review!
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Asteroid Apophis Lord of Chaos by John S. Pritchett

Post by Kennedy NC »

A sinister plot to eliminate an abusive husband goes a bit south. Would definitely be getting my hands on this book. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: The Martisian Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Whatever It Takes by Heaton Wilson

Post by NetMassimo »

I see why some elements of this novel are problematic enough for you to influence your judgment despite some intriguing parts of the plot. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

GoodLuck ES wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 01:25 I've always been against abusive relationships but murdering the abuser sounds so grave to me. That shouldn't be the best bet. Interesting storyline. Great review.
There should be a better way; unfortunately, she just couldn't see it. Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kavita Shah wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 02:58 Sylvia asks for Matthew's help to kill Ron. Did they succeed? Intriguing story. I am adding it to my want to read shelf. Thanks for your review!
I hope you get a chance to read it to find out. :D Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 03:13 Wow! I would like to read this book. It seems thrilling. Thanks for an amazing review!
You should read it; I think you would enjoy it. Thanks for reading my review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kennedy NC wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 03:22 A sinister plot to eliminate an abusive husband goes a bit south. Would definitely be getting my hands on this book. Great review.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

NetMassimo wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 04:43 I see why some elements of this novel are problematic enough for you to influence your judgment despite some intriguing parts of the plot. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you for understanding. The plot was definitely intriguing, but the book could use some improvement.
MayorE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Find Someone To Love by Divya Sood

Post by MayorE »

Both parties signing their confession? Sound like a brilliant idea. This seems like an interesting read. Nice review
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Booklover Becca »

This sounds so interesting! Definitely a new twist on the murder mystery. Thanks for the great review!
Precious Naiti
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Precious Naiti »

The storyline of this book is amazing and gripping. I would really love to read this book. Your review does the book justice.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

MayorE wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 10:36 Both parties signing their confession? Sound like a brilliant idea. This seems like an interesting read. Nice review
It was until one confession was lost. :lol: I appreciate you taking the time to read my review and comment!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”