Review by Abisolalawal -- My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abisolalawal
Currently Reading: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abisolalawal.html
Latest Review: Finding Faith, Hope, and Love in a Broken World by Yvonne M Morgan

Review by Abisolalawal -- My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by Abisolalawal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Only Sunshine" by Lou Dischler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Only Sunshine, is a fictional story focusing on the life journey of a boy named Charlie, on whose shoulders lie the fate of his entire household. He is a 9-year-old child and with a younger brother, Jute. Jute was so young that he only knows a little about what's going on around him. They both do not know their parents and so they lived with their grandparents. The book, written in the first-person point of view, examines the past and future of Charlie. He was charged with underage consumption of intoxicating spirits, public drunkenness, indecent exposure and rape. He was sent to reform school where he became even more notorious. How Charlie made his come back, his discovery and became the source of survival for his entire family, and many more were the focus in this novel by Lou Discher.

This book, consisting of 190 pages has a consistent and natural dialogue which flowed easily, but it wasn't so engaging at the very start. However, along the line, I got into the suspense of what next as the characters began to unfold and the story became so real to me especially at the point when Charlie's uncle, Dan and his girlfriend were introduced in the book.

Although My Only Sunshine was worth reading, it comprises of profane words and some violent behaviours that seemed too much for a story depicting the life of a young child. For example, Charlie's grandmother hitting a detective with a saucepan became a default act for Charlie. When the sheriff fainted, Charlie went to bring a saucepan trying to resuscitate him. These made the book not suitable for children even though the title and cover page creates an impression that it's a book for children.

There was nothing to dislike about the book except for the use of profane words and the violent scenes described above. These are not worth taking a star off for, considering the environment or the background from which the author writes the story. I also think it was efficiently edited because I could not find any grammatical or typographical error. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to young adults and adults who likes crime stories and to everyone who would like the reality of what extremes people get to in order to become comfortable and make ends meet.

My Only Sunshine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: No Reezon by Tara Falling Douglas

Post by markodim721 »

I've always been a fan of books that contained clever dialogues, dialogues where they belong. Thanks for the review.
Abisolalawal
Latest Review: Finding Faith, Hope, and Love in a Broken World by Yvonne M Morgan

Post by Abisolalawal »

I am glad you'd like it. you are welcome
Abisolalawal

Post by Abisolalawal »

markodim721 wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:41 I've always been a fan of books that contained clever dialogues, dialogues where they belong. Thanks for the review.
I'm glad you like it. Thanks for your kind feedback.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”