Official Review: The Kahler Files #4 by Eric Safflind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: The Kahler Files #4 by Eric Safflind

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Kahler Files #4" by Eric Safflind.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrian Kahler is a computer-proficient psychologist who possesses extrasensory abilities. He owns a detective agency with Barry Sandler and Stanley Egor as his employees. Stanley is a massive, seven-foot-one-inch, 325-pound engineer, who was formerly a professional wrestler and a U.S. Navy SEAL. Barry possesses an extraordinary ability—he is an empath. He sometimes experiences what other people are feeling or thinking; however, the ability to control it has escaped him thus far.

Cuba is in the process of constructing a nuclear power plant; the NSA has intercepted a message that indicates someone is planning on blowing it up once it goes online. If that happens, both Cuba and the southern part of Florida would be affected by the radiation. The two countries need to work together to find out if the threat is credible and, if so, prevent it from happening. Kahler becomes convinced that The Collective is involved. The Collective is an evil group of people capable of linking together to increase their inherent paranormal powers. After Kahler’s group killed the leader in the past, they had temporarily disappeared. Stanley and Barry venture to Cuba on a fact-finding mission and to prevent the possible destruction of the power plant.

The Kahler Files #4: Dream a Little Dream by Eric Safflind is the fourth book in the series. This book is a standalone novel with the majority of the questions answered by the end. I read The Kahler Files #1: More or Less than Human and loved it. Subsequently, I was eager to read this book. Once again, the author demonstrated an exceptional writing ability, and the book certainly lived up to my expectations, being immensely imaginative and unique. The tale is woven in such a fashion that it is practically impossible to predict where it will head next. Told from Barry’s first-person point of view, the action begins promptly with Barry having sex with Marta, a Cuban female, and watching her turn into a tiger and feeling her killing him. Then, the action slows as the background and the setting are constructed. This may drag a little for some people’s taste, but if they continue reading, the suspense will make it difficult to put down once the momentum increases.

One thing I didn’t expect was the inclusion of some of Cuba’s history and the conditions that led to Castro being able to overthrow the government. The Santeros (priests) and religious beliefs of the people were woven into the story as well. This was relayed in such a way as to add depth to the story and make it even more interesting and believable. It also helped build an understanding of the Cuban people.

The author’s writing is very descriptive. I appreciate books that allow me to picture everything that is happening. This is his description of Kahler: “His perfectly combed white hair and unruly white eyebrows generally drew more first-glance attention than his small, sharp nose; tight mouth; and pointed chin. He had bright-pink skin pulled taut over a hard, angular face.” With this, the reader has received enough information to be able to construct a precise mental picture of Kahler’s face.

As there was absolutely nothing about this intriguing book that I disliked, it achieves a rating of four out of four stars. I enthusiastically recommend it to readers who enjoy spy novels, thrillers, and paranormal stories with a dash of romance. Sensitive readers need to be aware that sex, violence, and profanities are all encountered in the story.

The Kahler Files #4
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

It’s always nice when a sequel lives up to expectations! This book sounds very well put together and gripping. Thanks for the great review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I like a book that works as a standalone and provides closure for the reader. The fact that it presents Cuba's history is a plus. Thank you for your recommendation and great job!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Pluma wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 00:31 It’s always nice when a sequel lives up to expectations! This book sounds very well put together and gripping. Thanks for the great review.
I agree! The fact that you don't have to read the previous stories is a plus as well. Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 05:05 I like a book that works as a standalone and provides closure for the reader. The fact that it presents Cuba's history is a plus. Thank you for your recommendation and great job!
I prefer standalone books as well, and I was pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of some of the history of Cuba. It certainly added depth to the novel. I hope you get a chance to read it!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This sounds like it was very well done! Thank you for your thorough and well-written review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 09:01 This sounds like it was very well done! Thank you for your thorough and well-written review!
It was, indeed! Thanks for taking the time to read my review!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing paranormal spy thriller that offers some depths in the parts connected to Cuba, its people and its history. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A suspenseful story that combines spy thriller and the paranormal? Sounds really interesting. I think, with the explicit content, it isn't for me. I'm glad you enjoyed this so much, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Njatha77 »

Your review, and especially summary, got me hooked already. I'm adding this to my to-read list. Thank you.
"Difficulty keeps it interesting!"
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like an exciting book from the characters to the storyline. Your descriptions were marvelous! Thank you for a great review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Now I wish to delve into the series and enjoy like you. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I like that while the book is a part of a series, it can be read as a standalone. Thank you for the review, I enjoyed reading it!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

NetMassimo wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 15:55 This seems like an intriguing paranormal spy thriller that offers some depths in the parts connected to Cuba, its people and its history. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
I hope you do as I think you will enjoy them. Thanks for reading my review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

kandscreeley wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 16:54 A suspenseful story that combines spy thriller and the paranormal? Sounds really interesting. I think, with the explicit content, it isn't for me. I'm glad you enjoyed this so much, though. Thanks.
It was quite intriguing. I appreciate your comments!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”