Review by karisma25 -- My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
karisma25
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: The Flight of the Schimmerplotz
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karisma25.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by karisma25 -- My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by karisma25 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Only Sunshine" by Lou Dischler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler is a compelling story from the view of a child called Boone who resided in a small town known as Red Church. It is se during the time of the Cuban missile crisis and looming threat of nuclear annihilation. The story focuses on him, his family, their day-to-day struggles, and the unwanted legacy of his criminal father who is currently in prison. It starts with the arrival of his criminal uncle Dan and new Aunt Lorna who move back home after a recent jailbreak. His subsequent struggles in school, from bullying to his less than average intelligence and naivety make him a unique child.

It centers on the little town and little slice of life moments between his family and they survive during this difficult times. At some point, their luck seems to have changed but it is only a cruel joke on Mother Nature’s part. The loyalty towards each other and willingness to protect their own makes a great example of what family should be. It also displays the dangers of a toxic relationship and what a slippery slope it can be, which in turn can be very detrimental towards one’s health and well-being.

My Only Sunshine is a well-written book full of gripping tales that are engaging and greatly highlights the importance of family albeit in a twisted way. Lou Dischler elaborate explanation of various scenes is precise and very accurate making the book easier to understand. I t also tackles injustices and highlights criminal profiling and how it can be used against an innocent, benefit the guilty or those with power and wealth. It accurately explores what it was like growing up during the cold war and it affected lives as people continuously lived in fear of nuclear winter.

The book is engaging from cover to cover and leaves you in suspense wanting for more. This creates an allure, which in turn makes it memorable. The protagonists make execution leaves you at the edge of your seat and keeps you guessing what will happen next, especially Dan and Lorna and their half-baked schemes. This makes the read even more interesting.

There were little to none grammatical errors, proving the book was professionally edited. However, there were some few instances of profanity throughout the book. I recommend this book to those looking for action packed adventures with great emphasis on family and friendship. I happily give it a rating of four out of four

My Only Sunshine
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”