Official Review: Unknown Vengeance by Patrick O'Brien

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda LM
2021 Reading Goal: 22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lm.html
Latest Review: Evan and friends meet a New Friend by Chris Williams

Official Review: Unknown Vengeance by Patrick O'Brien

Post by Guda LM »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unknown Vengeance" by Patrick O'Brien.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do a plastic surgeon, a salesperson, and a nurse have in common? What is the significance of the numbers 60, 67, 10, 4, 47, 17, 43, 20, 10, and 32? Unknown Vengeance by Patrick O’Brien opens up with an ongoing murder, the first of many. The killer is meticulous, diabolical, and extremely intelligent. He first cuts the victim’s face severally and strategically, then slashes the victim’s throat, leading to a slow death. Next, he curves out a number across the chest and finally signs off with a poetic note and name. He then takes his time to carefully clean up and eliminate any DNA traces before casually walking out and blending into the world. Detective Rhody Richardson of the Buffalo Police Department walks into this bizarre and confusing world.

He works alongside his friend and partner, Detective Jon Wayne, and they are immediately racing against time. As they struggle to figure out the cases, motive, and connection between the victims, more bodies drop. The pattern is the same but with different poems, numbers, and names. The victims seem random, and everything quickly turns into a blur for the detectives. They enlist the help of Dr. Kaileen Taylor, a renowned psychologist, to help profile the perpetrator and give more input. As the investigations deepen, more confusion regarding the victims' identities arises, their significance in the killer’s mind, and their relation. The most unusual detail is the probable identity of the suspect. Are Rhody and his team wrong?

The book instantly hooks the reader right from the first line and page. Patrick poetically and intricately describes the unfolding murder scene while maintaining the anonymity of the murderer. The subsequent scenes and settings follow the same exquisite description, allowing one to visualize and experience them, both the good and the bad. For instance, see the flurry of activities and personnel in a crime scene or taste the doughnuts and bitter coffee offered during the team briefings. Despite the numerous characters, each is realistic, relatable, and their roles are easy to perceive. For instance, the detectives have distinctive personalities and physical attributes, yet they complement each other perfectly.

My favorite aspect of the read is the unique and in-depth introduction of victims before their demise. This makes them real, and their death becomes an impactful loss. I also enjoyed the detailed character development. Each character’s professional and social life is clearly highlighted, making them and their interactions authentic. I equally love the overall arrangement and neatness of the book; it is legible and visually appealing. I did not find anything that I did not like about the novel; it has the right amount of build-up to generate suspense and completely immerse the reader into the investigations and the killer’s mindset and activities.

The lack of grammar or spelling errors is proof of the book’s professional editing. The language employed is intelligible with a few cases of profane words. However, as a warning, the brutal scenes and description of the victim’s emotional state, as they slowly fade away, may affect sensitive readers. Unknown Vengeance is an emotive and immensely entertaining crime novel. It is a perfect mix of gruesome yet intriguing crime scenes, riddles, grueling investigations, and light and humorous social moments. It deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to crime novel fans looking for a thrilling and engaging story that will take you through the fields of medicine and anatomy, criminal investigations, and mind-bending psychology.

Unknown Vengeance
View: on Bookshelves
Arun_Bohra_001
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arun-bohra-001.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Arun_Bohra_001 »

This story includes everything from thrill to crime everything seems amazing. Thanks for a great review.
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Booklover Becca »

I’m already intrigued and want to read it to guess who the murderer is. Great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Fleet of Knives
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Whatever It Takes by Heaton Wilson

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intense crime thriller with well-developed characters and plot, so it keeps the readers' attention until the end. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
PeterRabitt20
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: Become A Covid-19 Superhero by Sheryl Crawford

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This murder mystery seems precise, all the way down to the carved numbers and cuts. I like the recommendation you put for those interested in anatomy-themed genres. Excellent review! Thank you!
Sakura5
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Sakura5 »

After reading your description, now I want to start reading this book! I am usually not so much into crime fiction, but if it is well done like this one seems to be, then I more than welcome it. Nice review!
Jenniferg_1105
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferg-1105.html
Latest Review: Sessions With the Seer, revised edition by David M Taylor

Post by Jenniferg_1105 »

I love a good crime thriller. I enjoy books that book you right away.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Shillah A
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by Shillah A »

The same way the book hooks the readers mind from the first line is the same thing that happened to me when i started reading your review, it's a nice piece of work. I could not help trying to guess what would happen next.
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
lumenchristi
2021 Reading Goal: 2
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lumenchristi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by lumenchristi »

In fact, this review hooks me right from the opening talkless of the book itself. The book will be a captivating one. I am adding it to my to-read shelf asap. Kudos to the reviewer.
Precious Naiti
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Precious Naiti »

This blood curdling thriller is one to read for all lovers of thrillers and crime. The killer is a diabolical character and i am scared of him by just reading the summary of the novel. This is an amazing review.
teacherjh
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: The Summer of 1957 by Judith E. Powell

Post by teacherjh »

This seems like a tightly written crime novel with a twisted villain and great characters. That's a home run for me.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”