Official Review: Bloody Redemption by James Meenagh

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RayRuff
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Twilight of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayruff.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: Bloody Redemption by James Meenagh

Post by RayRuff »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bloody Redemption" by James Meenagh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bloody Redemption is the first book in the Nick Parker series written by James Meenagh. I found myself reading the book nonstop and had to force myself to take a few breaks. This book instantly grabs your attention. You don’t want to put it down till you reach the end. Therefore, it certainly is a crime thriller.

Nick Parker used to be a black-ops agent and an assassin. However, he decides to leave the government and work as a cop in Seattle. As soon as he arrives, he ends up being partnered with Reggie Flannigan. Throughout the book, they tackle a few cases together in an impressive manner. They are both quite diligent and take their job seriously.

A father and his sons live isolated from the world in the mountains. Not only are they isolated, but they have to rely on their instincts to survive. After years of mental and physical abuse, the two brothers kill and butcher their father. The very same day, the brothers, Samuel and Ezekiel, notice a female hiker on the mountain. They suddenly become driven with lust and kidnap her. The girl is sexually abused and accidentally killed by asphyxiation. Initially, the brothers are confused but dismiss the death and continue what they started. The brother’s new goal is to survive by hunting animals and kidnapping female hikers.

The pacing of the story was perfect. The events all fell into place in an orderly fashion. I loved how there are multiple cases in the story. Gradually, we get to understand Parker as a character and how his past affects his present. Many books usually dismiss the consequences of a character; however, the author understood there are consequences when a cop uses deadly force. I appreciated this matter was acknowledged. I was interested in Parker’s backstory and, I am interested in reading the next book to try and find out more about him.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. I knew what I was getting into and knew sensitive topics will be discussed. Therefore, I have no complaints at all. Considering the length of the book, I understand few people may get upset that a few characters seldom appear. They may also get upset by a few racist jokes present in the book. Personally, it did not bother me at all. The cover of the book is the only off-putting thing. If I didn’t read the synopsis or the first few pages of the book, I would not have chosen to read it.

This book is professionally edited, as it only has a few errors. Therefore, I give Bloody Redemption 4 out of 4 stars. In terms of content, this is a spectacular book. It is exciting, funny, and full of action. I started to understand the characters and wanted to know more about them.

Bloody Redemption would be loved by those interested in crime books. This is an incredibly well-written book. However, it is important to note that readers should be mature. Profanity, rape, torture, gruesome killings, sex, and even necrophilia are present in this book. Therefore, this book should only be read by mature adults.

This review has been updated from its original version.
Bloody Redemption
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
nahom solomon 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nahom solomon 1 »

As far as I might be concerned, it's taking a clear piece of paper and making a story that didn't exist. Making characters who become genuine, and that individuals love or disdain. Causing situations that perusers can picture and perhaps feel like they're there. And keeping in mind that we can't all be Faulkner or Hemingway, composing a novel is an achievement and feels pretty damn great
Josephe-Anne
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: Hamlet in Baltimore
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

The topics in this novel are too dark and upsetting for me. These things happen far too often in real life and I'm not keen on reading much about them these days.

I agree with your comment about the book's cover design. It could definitely use some improvement to catch reader's eyes as they browse through the myriad of books to choose from.

Thank you for a well-written review.
:techie-reference:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
RayRuff

Post by RayRuff »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 15:44 The topics in this novel are too dark and upsetting for me. These things happen far too often in real life and I'm not keen on reading much about them these days.

I agree with your comment about the book's cover design. It could definitely use some improvement to catch reader's eyes as they browse through the myriad of books to choose from.

Thank you for a well-written review.
:techie-reference:
It is quite a dark book and I understand why people would stray away from it. Unfortunately, the cover does not reflect the book at all. I do hope it will be changed in the future. This is an incredible read! Even though people are taught not to judge a book by its cover, it still happens. Bloody Redemption does not deserve to be judged by its cover, but it is unavodiable. Hopefully, we get a new cover!
Thank you.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Whatever It Takes
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Low Flying by John Reynolds

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging crime thriller with a skillfully developed story and characters, though it seems really brutal in some parts. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Precious Naiti
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Precious Naiti »

This book seems to address one issue that is often dismissed. That issue being police brutality. I love crime novels and this crime thriller seems to be unputdownable!
RayRuff

Post by RayRuff »

NetMassimo wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 16:03 This seems like an engaging crime thriller with a skillfully developed story and characters, though it seems really brutal in some parts. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you! It is a spectacular book. :D I don't mind the brutal parts honestly. I actually liked how far the author went with a few characters. Without those parts, I feel that the purpose of the book would have been diminished.
RayRuff

Post by RayRuff »

Precious Naiti wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 10:06 This book seems to address one issue that is often dismissed. That issue being police brutality. I love crime novels and this crime thriller seems to be unputdownable!
It 100% is unputdownable! I found myself staying up quite late reading this book and... I have absolutely no regrets wasting sleep. :wink:
Hunter_T
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-t.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by Hunter_T »

Sounds like an exciting book, apart from the errors. The review reminded me of an episode of Criminal Minds, or something similar to that.
“It’s a gift...and a curse.” -Adrian Monk
RayRuff

Post by RayRuff »

Hunter_T wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 22:32 Sounds like an exciting book, apart from the errors. The review reminded me of an episode of Criminal Minds, or something similar to that.
What an interesting observation. I will admit I haven't seen criminal minds, but it sounds interesting. Thank you for dropping by :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”