Official Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda LM
2021 Reading Goal: 22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lm.html
Latest Review: Unknown Vengeance by Patrick O'Brien

Official Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Guda LM »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cartel Crusher" by Dan E. Hendrickson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marnia Gonzalez is the eldest daughter of Mexico's president and first lady Tomar and Allison Gonzalez. She was happily celebrating her birthday on a cruise ship in the presence of her friends and her nanny, Barbara. She loved and trusted the woman and even forgave her for the affair she had with her father, President Tomar Gonzalez. Barbara used this trust and favor to complete her mission, to acquire sensitive information from the presidential office. Her employer was Boris, a mysterious, exceptionally skilled, and influential Russian. The cruise ship was the final part of the plan, where Barbara was to depart, and Marnia and her friends were the insurance against any government interference. However, things got out of hand when a member of Boris’s team went rouge resulting in deaths and injuries. Commander Edwards Jacob was immediately tasked to rescue and remedy the situation, and he did so skillfully and swiftly.

Since then, Jacobs became Marnia’s inspiration and role model. She reinvented herself, dropped her famous last name, and worked towards joining the Anti-cartel Task Force. She is now Lieutenant Marnia Gonzalez of the Anti-cartel Task Force and immediately begins working towards her goal. She pushes on and is soon immersed in a murky world of child sex trafficking, slavery, gun smuggling, and a bizarre secret but powerful society. She fearlessly pursues the Santiago and Menerez cartels. Boris also resurfaces, and more curiously, a familial name comes up. What does her family have to do with this world? What will be the ultimate cost of her war against the cartels? How much power and influence do these individuals command, and whom will she trust?

The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson lives by its name right from the introduction. It instantly throws the reader into a world where everyone seems to be working an angle or is corrupt. Hendrickson excellently introduces and develops the characters, and the description of their attributes is exquisite. Each character has a specific role and origin, making them realistic and distinct. The action and fight scenes are amazingly detailed, allowing the reader to visualize and experience every physical and tactical maneuver. The depiction of the military operations, cartel settings, and their array of weapons and activities are authentic.

My favorite aspect of the book is the formidable and heroic female presence. Marnia’s skills amaze and terrify many, and she rises through the rankings through hard work and commitment. Rosemary Sargent is another stout woman who runs the most profitable brothel in Mexico City. She commits to and helps Marnia thwart cartel operations at whatever cost, including her own life and wellbeing. I equally love the chronological arrangement and the telling subheadings within the chapters. Initially, I thought the story unfolded too fast, but as it progressed, the reason for this became apparent, and it developed into a comprehensive and captivating plot. Otherwise, I found nothing to dislike.

The book is professionally edited, and I did not find any errors. The language is simple and has minimal use of profanities, but the despicable acts of child abuse and forced prostitution might affect sensitive readers. The book has minimal reference to religion with only one quoted Bible verse. The Cartel Crusher entails organized crimes, covert operations, government corruption, the wealthy one percent influence, and sadly the perverseness of human behavior. Additionally, there is an unlikely romance blooming, but with one party suspecting the other's sincerity. I recommend it to those looking for an action-packed novel full of secrets, tension, and suspense. The book’s ending is just the beginning, leaving one yearning for the next one. The rating is definitely a 4 out of 4 stars.

The Cartel Crusher
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by Kennedy NC »

Sometimes we place our trust in people who are not deserving of them such as Marnia's trust in Barbara. Great review.
amrinzaeda
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amrinzaeda.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen

Post by amrinzaeda »

Great to see that the female protagonist is formidable and heroic without being a caricature! It's so bothersome when they do a bad job of representing a female lead but this one sounds promising! And the betrayal aspect sounds so interesting. Thank you for the excellent review.
kridz21
Currently Reading: The Hammer of Thor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kridz21.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Game Ever Played...Maybe by Otto L. Wheeler

Post by kridz21 »

Interesting description of how the author portrays the fictional world as being corrupt, it sounds intriguing and pushes me to read this book. Great description of the book and its characters, great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Whatever It Takes
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Low Flying by John Reynolds

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intense story that digs into humans' darkest sides in a novel full of actions and suspense. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
lani_21
Currently Reading:

Post by lani_21 »

I am really fond of this kind of story. About politics and crimes because this can really depict what our society is experiencing right now. This review piqued my curiosity.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”