Official Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Official Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Faults" by Orion Gregory.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Struggling to make ends meet as a professional tennis player, Sydney Livingstone hopes to make a good showing at the Mainspring Mutual Open tournament. Winning a few rounds will not only help her pay her past-due rent, but she may even earn enough points to qualify for the US Open. Either way, she'll have to rank high if she ever wants to make a mark in the world of professional sports before her chronic injury takes her out of the game.

But Sydney has more to worry about than overcoming her weakness and winning favor with the crowd. Someone from her past is hunting her. As the tournament rounds continue, the stalker becomes more desperate and Sydney and her fellow athletes face elimination of a far more dire kind. Will Sydney be able to triumph despite the rising tension, or will she become another victim of the deranged stalker who's got a one-track mind?

Faults, by Orion Gregory, is a thrilling sports-centered crime novel. I loved how well the author used the tournament's tension and the escalating determination of the stalker to add suspense to this engaging story. Even though I don't know much about tennis, I eagerly dove right into the exciting matches depicted at different points of the on-going tournament. I enjoyed that the sports portion featured Sydney's journey to define herself in a highly-competitive and sometimes cutthroat environment. I also loved how the crime aspect added to the depth of Sydney's struggles as she was already an anxious person and had to work extra hard to deal with the stress brought on by the tournament and the suspicious activities surrounding her.

My favorite part of the book was the dynamic cast of suspects. Fellow tennis players, family members, best friends, and lovers all played a part in composing the well-developed list of possible people who wanted to harm Sydney. The author did an excellent job creating plausible motives, unique personalities, and character traits to distinguish each person of interest and make it difficult to predict who the real culprit was. Despite falling for the red herring that lead me down the wrong trail of clues, I enjoyed making guesses and predictions throughout the story, right up to the final pages.

The heavy swearing and occasional rude comments were the only things that I disliked about the book, but personal preferences did not reduce my rating. The heart-pounding competition and the stalker's unpredictability made Faults a satisfyingly thrilling read. The book was also edited very well, with only a few proofreading errors. Therefore, I rate it four out of four.

I'd recommend this book to adults who enjoy crime fiction, especially in a sports setting. The language consists of a mix of minor and heavy swearing, but there was no explicit sexual content aside from a few steamy kisses—all "lovemaking" happened behind the scenes. Those sensitive to the subject of suicide should be aware that the book opens with the scene of a young woman taking her life that may be disturbing.

Faults
View: on Bookshelves
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Facing one's professional life and still having to guard oneself against professional danger must be quite distracting and disturbing. Great review.
prernarajput123
Favorite Book: The Girl On The Train
Currently Reading: Becoming Michelle Obama
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prernarajput123.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by prernarajput123 »

I love to read crime thriller. The storyline Intrigued me now I am curious to find out what Sydney's fate is and how the stalker will end up . I am adding this book right to my shelf. Thanks for the great review.
Zaeda Amrin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaeda-amrin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Zaeda Amrin »

Oh, this sounds like a good one! I love how the elements of the competitive court merge with the plot of the dark stalker. It must have been a riveting read, so I have to add this to my shelf! Thanks for the awesome review.
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

Crime novels are some of my favorite types of books, this one seems like no exception. The suspension combined with Sydney's dedication to her sport leads me to consider reading this book. Thank you for your review!
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

I like how the sports scenes in this book are written well enough to be exciting even to those who don’t know much about it, and that the crime part of the storyline was also developed well. This sounds like a great book! Thanks for the thorough review.
Sejall7_
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sejall7.html
Latest Review: Everyone Needs a Companion by Jerry A Greenberg

Post by Sejall7_ »

A crime novel? Well, I am in! There's just something so interesting to read about crimes. This review has definitely spiked up my intrigue. Adding this to my shelf right away. Thanx for this review !
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing crime thriller in the world of tennis with suspense given by the number of suspects and the discovery of their possible motives. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Hunter Tester
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Hunter Tester »

Wow, this sounds exciting! I enjoyed reading your review. It sounds like this book has two things I love, sports and thrillers. I may read it in the future.
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Njatha77 »

I'm also interested in finding out who the real culprit was. Sounds like a very interesting read, thank you for your review.
"Difficulty keeps it interesting!"
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

I love a crime novel any day and this one seems like an interesting one. I am not a fan of sports though so that may demotivate me to read the book, but only to a lesser extent because the book seems very engaging.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I am adding this to my bookshelf right away. This review makes me want to find out more. So many great books to read, it's hard to decide I just one. Thank you for the great review
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

I would love to read this book, it seems quite interesting. Great review!
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

The title itself made me curious.I expected that the book would be about mistakes but it turnedd out to an interesting topic of tennis.I felt for sydney since her performance is negatively impacted by external factors.Thanks for the review.
Andeso ke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andeso-ke.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Andeso ke »

I enjoyed the book as much as you did and I enjoyed your review. This is a book worth reading.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”