Review by Nicholus Schroeder -- Waves Break (on Unknown ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review by Nicholus Schroeder -- Waves Break (on Unknown ...

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)" by Barry Litherland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland is a crime thriller. Our detective and protagonist in this book is a sub-par journalist called Philip Tyler. He is tasked with retrieving an envelope that was presumably stolen from the Oldfield residence by his childhood best friend Wayne Keech. One of Philip's problems is the fact that each person that has tasked him with retrieving the envelope threatens to kill him should he fail. In his endeavour to retrieve the stolen envelope, he is left with no choice but to ask for help from his rival in journalism; a slippery character called Simon Walsh that can smell a newspaper headline from a mile away.

Philip's life is hanging from a thin thread. He has to find the envelope before the thread is cut. His only lead is a reported sighting of Wayne near the residence the night it was burgled. Wayne is evasive when questioned and Philip is running out of time. He has to solve this mystery before he meets a premature death. The more he digs however, the more complicated everything becomes. Lines that were drawn are crossed without a second thought. Will he succeed and earn his freedom? Or will he meet an untimely death?

What a joy it was to read this book. The witty humor and banter between characters is quite memorable and greatly appreciated. A perfect example of this would be the alibi that was given to Detective Inspector Slattery for Wayne's whereabouts the night of the burglary. He was told by a solicitor that Wayne was playing sex games with Tina and Philip. Slattery's reaction to this claim is priceless. I was glad that this book contained a lot of such instances. The witty humor was present in most chapters and this made the book quite a blast to read.

The characters were also well-developed and I enjoyed getting to know them better. The backstory for each character is provided in a flashback to their youth. These flashbacks did not disrupt the flow of the book as they actually helped me digest certain information a lot better, as I had time to properly go over what I had read while reading the flashback chapters.

I did not dislike anything about this book. I loved the plot, characters and everything in between. It was pleasant to read and comprehend.

Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The editing was perfect as I did not find a single error while reading this book.

I recommend this book to people that love crime thrillers and books that have interesting characters as well as an amazing plot.

Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”