Official Review: To Kill A Saint by Michael Swiger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Official Review: To Kill A Saint by Michael Swiger

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To Kill A Saint" by Michael Swiger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To Kill A Saint by Michael Swiger is a mystery novel that begins with the discovery of a brutal murder in a church. There is a suspect at the scene of the crime, though: the priest at the church, Reverend Howard Jamison. However, he will not speak. His presence at the crime scene and his DNA on the nails of the victim present overwhelming evidence against him. He faces a potential death sentence, and his case is forcefully handed to Hunter St. James, a lawyer on his journey towards self-discovery and living in the ugly shadow of his late father's transgressions against the law. Hunter initially believes that his client is guilty and puts little effort into the case, but a lot of things do not add up. The events that unfold throw us into a world of many secrets run by a powerful occultic group.

The author did a fantastic job in this story by creating intriguing characters that readers will love and relate to. From the main character, Hunter, who hoped to further his career but was stigmatized due to the sins of his father, to Hunter's romantic interest later in the story, Psychologist Faith McGuire, who struggled with going into any relationship after a failed marriage, the story did not lack in carefully crafted characters that showed us their strengths, flaws, and weaknesses. This was my favorite part of the story.

I also enjoyed the conversations between Hunter and Reverend Jamison that revolved around comparisons between religion and science. Hunter did not believe in God, and I couldn't blame him, considering everything his family had been through. It was difficult for him to believe that there could be a God while he suffered. Readers will find their discussions very insightful, as they also debated the creation story versus the big bang theory.

The author is also well versed in the world of investigations and legal proceedings, as we follow a well-detailed investigation that helps us uncover other suspects in the case, which creates a more complex mystery. Readers can also expect a few twists and thrilling scenes where our main characters' lives are on the line. To Kill A Saint is a professionally edited book. I found just three errors while reading, and they did not affect my reading at all.

The only thing I did not like about the book was the description of the characters' reactions to losses at different points of the story. There wasn't a lot of effort put into describing this part of the novel, and it felt like they moved on too quickly. Nevertheless, the book deserves a rating of four out of four stars. It is a well-written, well-edited, and thrilling read that will keep readers on the edge of their seats throughout. If you enjoy mysteries, thrillers, and supernatural novels, you will love this book.

To Kill A Saint
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Njatha77 »

Fantastic review. Thank you.
"Difficulty keeps it interesting!"
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Honestly, a science vs. religion discussion is not what I'm looking for, but the mystery seems intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”