Official Review: Stolen Virus by Gary F. Jones

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michelle Fred
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Stolen Virus by Gary F. Jones

Official Review: Stolen Virus by Gary F. Jones

Post by Michelle Fred »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stolen Virus" by Gary F. Jones.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Besides the bragging rights, Ahmed couldn't care less for a doctorate. The stark differences between American and Pakistani culture were making his stay in the country miserable. Back home, he could accurately gauge a person's social status by their dressing; in contrast, the casual style of most Americans irked him. But not as much deferring to superior women. If only his graduate advisor were nicer, perhaps he would overlook all the other issues, but Professor Naga is a thorn in his flesh and the feeling was mutual. Despite their bitter entanglement, none could rid himself of the other. The intricacies of the American society proved too much for his Pakistani palate and he hatched an escape plan, but not before teaching Professor Naga a lesson. His meticulously orchestrated plan to pilfer the samples of their joint research turned out better than he expected. In the same freezer housing the samples lay a box with ten small vials containing the faecal samples of a viral cattle disease that could change the world forever if it gets into the wrong hands.

Stolen Virus by Gary F. Jones was first published in 2016 under the name: A Jerk, a Jihad, and a Virus. Gary is an accomplished veterinary doctor and microbiologist and his vast knowledge of the field comes to the fore in this scientific espionage novel. He courts a reader's interest by building suspense and breaking down complex scientific terms and research processes into fascinating and digestible chunks for a layperson.

I enjoyed learning about animal viruses, and the potential effects of their transmission to humans. There is so much I didn't know about the SARS virus because it didn't affect my country and I appreciate the information I gleaned on the subject. I looked up some details in the book and it tallies with publicly available data. Also, I'm glad that he didn't present any of the scientific details in a teach-y manner; rather they just flow seamlessly with the narrative.

For me, characters are the mainstay of fiction, and I loved how solid and balanced the characters in the book were. Ann and Jason were super endearing. Their work and relationship struggles are realistic and relatable.

All thrown together, clean rooms, labs, faecal samples and vials, deadly viruses, the CIA's far-reaching tentacles, spies, impassioned jihadists, frustrated professors, romance, research processes, the stark landscape, and scorching Yemen weather makes for a thrilling read.

Other than the portrayal of Ahmed's character being overboard, I loved the story. Conclusively, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It is well done and executed with a stated timeframe of events and locations. Lastly, the editing is clean and professional. The plot will resonate with espionage, medical fiction, and adventure fans. It does contain profanities and violent scenes, though.

Stolen Virus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
R_Royalty+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_Royalty+ »

I felt as the piece was very lazy. It got straight to the point quick,whereby I personally want to be taken on a journey and dwell in certain parts before I realise what's actually going on. A good read just not for me...
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I definitely prefer this book title to the original one.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Fearless
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Low Flying by John Reynolds

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller that includes espionage and bioterrorism with well-developed plot and characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Alheotuci
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Alheotuci »

This is a detailed review.
Smmwallace
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Hail, The Omega
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Smmwallace »

This book not only sounds intriguing, but it sounds like it'll keep you on the edge of your seat. Thank you for your informative review!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your intriguing review. It looks like this book has addressed the sensitive topic of contrasting cultures. Being in a foreign country is not easy, but Ahmed seems a bit overbearing.
Hhannahh
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The World We Used to Live In by Vine Deloria, Jr.

Post by Hhannahh »

I felt sweet relief when realized that this was not a coronavirus story; I've seen one too many of those. This is quite an intriguing storyline.
Great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”