Official Review: FEAR ME NOW: The War Annex

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Official Review: FEAR ME NOW: The War Annex

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "FEAR ME NOW: The War Annex" by Christopher Williams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

FEAR ME NOW: The War Annex by Christopher Williams is a crime thriller about a black man who takes on White America. Crenshaw Dimes (Dubb Sack) is the first one in his family to go to college. After his mother loses her job, he does not know how to manage college and maintain his 3.0 GPA. Dubb Sack is a 21-year-old black man full of anger and living in a racist world. He believes White America has stolen his culture, religion, land, language, and God from him. Feeling dead inside, he tries to talk to his friends about his anger. They do not take him seriously and think the answer is for him to mellow out by getting high on drugs. He continues to feel the humiliation he has had to contend with from white people all of his life. How does he overcome these demons that are haunting him? Or does he? You will have to read the book to find out.

The main thing I liked about this book is how the author drew out my emotions. I could feel everything Dubb was feeling and understood his anger and frustration. I had to double-check and make sure this book was not non-fictional and about his personal life. Everything felt so real while I was reading the book. For this reason, I could not put down the book and had to keep reading it until it was finished.

There are a couple of things I dislike about this book. Firstly, this book is full of profanity and derogatory bias toward stereotyping of African Americans. The use of the word “nigra” throughout the book was offensive to me. Secondly, the use of Ebonics is not something I am familiar with. I had trouble understanding some of the terminologies. In fact, I had to look up the word “Ebonics” to see what it meant. That is probably more a failure of mine than the authors, but it made me uncomfortable while reading the book.

This book is fast-paced and action-packed with a smooth-flowing plot. Unfortunately, it is full of errors that a professional editor would have found. Due to these errors, I can only give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book would warrant the maximum of stars if it were not for the mistakes.

I recommend this book to adults who enjoy crime thrillers. I do not think this book is appropriate for younger readers because of the non-borderline profanity and violence contained in this book. Sensitive readers need to be cautious of the dark mental aspect of this book.

FEAR ME NOW: The War Annex
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

This book gives me American History X vibes! I'm actually super interested in checking this out. Thanks for the great review!
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

Your summary makes me think of Invisible Man - that same soul-destroying frustration of living in constant oppression. How enraging that we, as a nation, have made such little progress in the 70 years since Ellison's novel detailed the same anger and injustice.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging thriller built around a sensitive subject. A professional editor might help the author in developing its potential the best way and with proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”