Official Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: At the Chameleon, Turn by Victoria Carisimo

Official Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Legacy" by Chris Coppel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beyath is an evil, 16th-century witch who, when other witches were being captured and burned at the stake, used her powers to escape to another dimension. However, to continue living, she has to return to her original dimension every twenty-five years and feed on one of her descendants. It is now time for her next feeding.

Craig and Jenny live happily in a tiny house in a small town in Utah with their two young children. In the middle of the night, a large, ancient mirror is mysteriously delivered to their home. Although Craig experiences a sense of foreboding, they decide to keep it. Before long, weird things start happening. Their dog seems to be terrified of the mirror and won’t go near it. They begin to notice unusual noises coming from the attic. Ahote, an elderly Native American with a limited ability to time travel, shows up and warns a skeptical Craig of impending danger to his family. Craig initially assumes he is demented. Although Craig has a history as an elite sniper for the U.S. Marines, traveling twenty-five years into the past with Ahote to save his family is going to be one of the most perilous operations he has ever undertaken.

Chris Coppel has superbly crafted a captivating paranormal thriller in Legacy. With just 173-pages, it doesn’t take long to become immersed in this chilling tale. The theme of time travel has been employed in other stories, but the author has a slightly different take from the norm. Mr. Coppel’s prose is descriptive and easy to understand, and the dialogues are realistic. The novel alternates between the current day, Craig’s background, and the mission they are embarking on that is twenty-five years in the past. All of the questions to this story are answered by the end of the book, but a new problem in the epilogue seems to indicate there will be a sequel.

The novel is narrated from the third-person point of view, mostly from Craig’s perspective. This offers us a comprehensive picture of what is transpiring. As Craig’s background is developed, his past is consistently written in italics, so it is easy to recognize when the story has gone back to an earlier time in his life. He still struggles with PTSD from being a Marine, and he also has had to overcome a traumatic childhood. Currently, his job entails working as a sheriff’s deputy in a town that rarely experiences crime. He is a very likable and believable protagonist. There are only a few other main characters in the story; Craig’s wife, Jenny, and Ahote were the chief ones. This makes it easy to keep track of everyone. I wanted more background on Ahote; perhaps that is coming in the sequel.

There were a few minor punctuation and grammatical errors in the book. They did not affect my enjoyment at all. Subsequently, I did not feel it necessary to detract from the score because of them. Therefore, as I found nothing else to dislike about this suspenseful story, Legacy achieves a rating of four out of four stars. I enthusiastically recommend this novel to readers who enjoy thrillers and paranormal books. Sensitive readers should be aware some occasional profanities and violence are encountered in the story, and it is definitely very creepy.

Legacy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Drianie
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: The Sun at Twilight by N.L. Holmes

Post by Drianie »

A great reminder not to accept free gifts delivered to my house unexpectedly! :shock: The paranormal genre is not for me, but I'm intrigued to learn what the author's unique spin on time travel might be. Overall I can see how this thrilling plot will capture the attention of readers who love this genre. Thanks for the detailed review! :)
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: Memory Thieves
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

I found it really interesting as I am a big fan of this genre. Great review.
RayRuff
Currently Reading: Legends of Andolin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayruff.html
Latest Review: New Light by Scott A McDowell

Post by RayRuff »

This sounds amazing. I wasn't expecting the book to include time travel elements. I am curious and I want to know what happens next. A very well-written review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Drianie wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 02:37 A great reminder not to accept free gifts delivered to my house unexpectedly! :shock: The paranormal genre is not for me, but I'm intrigued to learn what the author's unique spin on time travel might be. Overall I can see how this thrilling plot will capture the attention of readers who love this genre. Thanks for the detailed review! :)
Especially when you have no idea where they came from. Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Bookishkrish24 wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 05:02 I found it really interesting as I am a big fan of this genre. Great review.
Then, I think you should try to read it if you get a chance. I don't think you will be disappointed!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

RayRuff wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 05:38 This sounds amazing. I wasn't expecting the book to include time travel elements. I am curious and I want to know what happens next. A very well-written review.
Thank! I hope you get a chance to read it!
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Nikki Armstrong, Measure of a Woman by Vinny Green

Post by MarianaFigueira »

OMG sounds incredible! Thanks for the recommendation and the amazing review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Alheotuci
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Alheotuci »

Would honestly want to read this book from reading your review. This is a thorough review😊
TheMazeRunner
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Wow! I love how you represented the book. I think I might read it.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 13:28 OMG sounds incredible! Thanks for the recommendation and the amazing review.
I hope you get to read it soon! Thanks for the kind comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Alheotuci wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 13:44 Would honestly want to read this book from reading your review. This is a thorough review😊
I hope you do as I think you would enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 02:52 Wow! I love how you represented the book. I think I might read it.
I hope you give it a chance! Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading: Cosmander and The Crown
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Deception's Bastard by Rebecca E.Dalmeida

Post by Smmwallace »

This book sounds like an exciting read. This is right up my alley. Thank you for your informative review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Flight
Bookshelf Size: 227
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Change by N G Nelson

Post by NetMassimo »

This paranormal thriller has some classic premises, good to see that the author found an angle that makes this novel fresh and engaging. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Latest Review: Change by N G Nelson

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”