Official Review: The Hockenfur Tangent by Linda Kingery

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: From I-80 to Galway Bay by James Christie

Official Review: The Hockenfur Tangent by Linda Kingery

Post by Shrabastee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Hockenfur Tangent" by Linda Kingery.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inflicted with a mitochondrial syndrome that never allows her body to generate enough energy, Leah Manis spends most of her time in deep slumber. During one of her cherished waking moments, she comes across Jareth, a well-mannered, enigmatic man. The stimulating conversations soon give way to an ever-increasing sense of belonging. However, Leah is weary that her condition will only drive Jareth away. How will their relationship proceed if she is perpetually unable to stay awake? Do Jareth’s kind words and seemingly sincere efforts hide an ulterior motive? In The Hockenfur Tangent, Linda Kingery weaves a tale with a unique premise.

I loved the chemistry between Leah and Jareth. Their mutual attraction slowly yet inevitably developed into an impossible love story. Despite Leah’s firm convictions that Jareth would desert her at some point, he vowed to make everything work and stayed with her “in sickness and in health.” Kingery portrayed the ups and downs of their one-of-a-kind love story with perfection, alternating between tender caresses and passionate peaks. For someone who isn’t keen on reading romance, their relationship moved me to tears. On the other hand, their profound conversations on varied and thought-provoking matters kept me pondering.

The unusual premise and the twists appealed to me the most. Even after progressing halfway through the book, its true nature kept eluding me. The blurb described it as “genre-defying.” Given the heart-rending love story, I could not decipher a reason for its inclusion in the thriller/mystery category. When an unexpected twist transformed the book from a tragic romance to something entirely different, it made me see the novel in a new light.

I experienced a few setbacks within the book. While I mostly enjoyed Jareth’s insightful comments, his lengthy monologues often proved tedious and made me lose interest. Sometimes, I failed to follow his train of thought, finding myself trapped within long-winded discourses. Considering everything that happened in the book, the ending seemed a little rushed. With Kingery’s style, I expected more flair towards the end but found none.

Based on my reading experiences, I rate the novel 3 out of 4 stars, deducting a star for the negative points. From a technical aspect, the book seemed to be professionally edited, with only one error. I would recommend this to those readers who appreciate deep, thought-provoking reads. However, if you are looking for light-hearted romance, this is not the book for you. The concepts presented in the book would require a mature audience. The presence of distinctly adult themes and profanities makes the novel unsuitable for younger readers.

The Hockenfur Tangent
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: A Bavarian-French-Norman Adventure by Courtney A. Haff

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

A very unique and interesting storyline. I wonder how they made the unusual romance work out. Or if it ever did. I would love to read this book. Thanks for the review.
RayRuff
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Twilight of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayruff.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by RayRuff »

Very interesting premise. In a way it reminds me of sleeping beauty, but not exactly. Thank you for your review. :)
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Fearless
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Low Flying by John Reynolds

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems quite an original story from the point of view of a person suffering from a rare genetic disease. Also, considering the monologues you mentioned, I guess it's a book for people with a specific interest. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”