Official Review: Journeyman by Emma Melville

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Thriving During Periods of Unemployment by Artaisha Jenkins, PhD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Journeyman by Emma Melville

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Journeyman" by Emma Melville.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Having recently transferred to the small town of Fenwick, England, Inspector John Marshall is looking forward to investigating and policing matters that are less horrific and gruesome than he’d seen in his previous position in London. The fact that the entire Fenwick CID was just replaced with all new personnel six months ago is something he chooses not to worry about … at first.

Then one January night, in a tremendous winter gale, someone calls in to report a dead albino woman found in a ditch. When he gets there to investigate, he finds a deceased dark-haired man instead. He has no obvious cause of death and has been placed to look as if he’s resting peacefully. That’s not the only death reported that night. A local farmer has also been murdered on his property, and his teenage daughter is reported missing. As Marshall follows the twists and turns of the case, his investigation leads him to deal with gypsies camping on the farmer’s land, an old library with a mysterious librarian, and a boy who’s been having strange visions and dreams. In solving this case, he just might have to accept that some things cannot be explained by science or logic.

Journeyman: An Inspector Marshall Mystery by Emma Melville is a crime thriller with folkloric and supernatural elements. Although the author has written short stories involving Inspector Marshall in the past, this is her first full-length novel. The book includes a host of interesting characters, from Marshall and his Sergeant, Mark Sherbourne, to various gypsies, as well as the ordinary townsfolk of Fenwick, including two teenage boys who always seem to find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. The point of view alternates between many different characters in a way that shows the reader what is going on in different areas at the same time. Because of this, the reader enjoys being a step or two ahead of Marshall at times, but there is still enough suspense to keep you guessing up until the end of the book.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. The pace was quick and exciting throughout, and the various points of view really kept all the parts of the story moving forward. Characters who were seemingly unrelated at the beginning of the book all intertwined as the novel went on, giving me several “aha!” moments throughout the story. I also really liked the collection of characters, from the policemen to the gypsies to the unlucky teenagers. Getting to know so many of them allows the reader to really get to know their personalities and motivations. They are all given interesting backstories and personal strengths and weaknesses, making them very realistic.

The supernatural elements of the book were cleverly done. At the beginning of the book, it seemed like it could be your average murder mystery. As things progressed and certain elements of the case became harder to explain, I realized along with Inspector Marshall that something very odd was going on in Fenwick. It is written in such a way that readers must join Marshall in suspending belief and accepting what their senses are really telling them. I love being able to put myself in a novel and feel what the characters are feeling, and I think the book did a fantastic job of that.

I can’t find much to complain about with Journeyman. If I had to be picky, I would note that there were a handful of typos, but they were not pervasive or overly distracting enough to ruin my enjoyment of the novel. I am happy to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars, and I hope this will not be the last of the Inspector Marshall Mystery series. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy fast-paced crime novels or books that deal with magic and folklore.

Journeyman
View: on Bookshelves
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The City Of Mirrors
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by raluca_mihaila »

I love a good crime story with supernatural elements. So thank you for your recommendation and this great review!
NetMassimo
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Fearless
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Low Flying by John Reynolds

Post by NetMassimo »

A supernatural thriller in a small town is tricky to create without falling into cliches, this one seems to pull it off. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
unamilagra

Post by unamilagra »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 03:57 I love a good crime story with supernatural elements. So thank you for your recommendation and this great review!
Thank you for stopping by to comment!

NetMassimo wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 05:54 A supernatural thriller in a small town is tricky to create without falling into cliches, this one seems to pull it off. Thank you for your great review!
Yes, I thought the author did a great job. Thank you for commenting!
TheMazeRunner
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Crime stories are my cup of tea. I love your review!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: 10 spiritual little nuggets in business by Irene jones

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This seems like a very compelling read! I enjoyed reading your summary and review! Great work.
unamilagra

Post by unamilagra »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 03:12 Crime stories are my cup of tea. I love your review!
Thank you for commenting!

Marcel Cantu wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 12:55 This seems like a very compelling read! I enjoyed reading your summary and review! Great work.
Thank you for the compliment and for stopping by to comment!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”