Official Review: Murder by Definition by Lynn G. Armstrong

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: Skeletal
Bookshelf Size: 473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Murder by Definition by Lynn G. Armstrong

Official Review: Murder by Definition by Lynn G. Armstrong

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Murder by Definition" by Lynn G. Armstrong.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Velma Atkins checked into the Springville Manor Retirement Home after she fell and broke her hip. Megan was Velma’s granddaughter. She worked as a volunteer in the manor. It wasn’t long before they became aware of the mysterious events at the manor. An unusual number of healthy residents began dying of heart attacks. Drugs went missing from the pharmacy making the residents and the police suspicious. Velma kept her eyes and ears open so she could gather information to give to Megan. The FBI began to investigate the missing drugs and the deaths. Dan worked with Megan at the nursing home. He hired a private detective to look into the case. Is Megan’s grandmother in danger? Will Velma be the next resident to have a sudden heart attack?

Murder by Definition by Lynn G. Armstrong is a mystery set in a home for the elderly in a small town in Mississippi. Many readers will relate to this setting and the vulnerability of the nursing home residents. Velma was a spunky grandmother who used her sleuthing abilities to uncover clues at the nursing home. Megan fell in love with Dan as they worked together to solve the mystery. I liked how the author would switch from the narration of the story to the characters’ thoughts. Readers see into the minds of the victims, the killer, the detectives, and the nurses. These inner conversations segued into believable interchanges between the characters. I also appreciated the detailed information provided about the antagonist.

There were a few things that disappointed me about the story. The spelling of two names changed during the story. The first was the name of the nursing home, and the second was the name of one of the characters. The book contained numerous grammatical errors. Most of these were incorrect punctuation with just one or two misspelled words. Some of the characters did use profanity. Several romantic scenes alluded to intimate relationships without getting too explicit.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author wrote about a situation that many readers with parents or grandparents in nursing homes would relate to as they read the novel. The mystery keeps readers guessing about the antagonist’s motives. All the storylines were tied up, and the romantic themes injected a lighter side to the story. The misspelled names and grammar issues led me to lower the score.

I recommend this story to readers who enjoy mysteries with a touch of romance. Mature readers would be the preferred audience for this book as it does have some violent scenes and the death of elderly characters. People who work in health care might find this story stimulating.

Murder by Definition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RayRuff
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayruff.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by RayRuff »

Oh, this book sounds interesting! A mystery with a bit of romance. It is a shame about the grammatical mistakes and misspelled names. However, that could be fixed with an additional edit hopefully. Thank you for your review.
“Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.”― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Passage
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by raluca_mihaila »

It seems like an interesting read! Thank you for your recommendation! I enjoyed reading your thorough review.
irumva divin
2021 Reading Goal: 45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by irumva divin »

i love the content mysteries with romance i hope i must find the book very soon and read it thank you for your honesty review
Suzer6440 xyz
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Lived
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

This definately seems like a great book to dive into. Thanks for the great review
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: A Pathway to Freedom by Milca Meruelo

Post by Joy Phill »

Seems like a book full of suspense. Murder mysteries can be so intriguing. Thanks for a detailed review.
Bookwormie13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bookwormie13 »

I love Sherlock Holmes detective pursuits and this books seems like a good mystery to rack your brain too. Thank you for a thorough review which definitely encourages mystery lovers to grab it off the shelf.
Hhannahh
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Hhannahh »

The setting of this book, a nursing home, makes it a lot more suspenseful. What could anyone have against the downhillers? A lot. I would like to check this book out.
Nice review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: The Lion’s Share
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Seven Tiers by Mark Richards

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing mystery set in an unusual place and interesting characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

RayRuff wrote: ↑22 Feb 2021, 10:56 Oh, this book sounds interesting! A mystery with a bit of romance. It is a shame about the grammatical mistakes and misspelled names. However, that could be fixed with an additional edit hopefully. Thank you for your review.
It is a fascinating story! The author did a great job of developing the romance while the reader is trying to solve the mystery. I hope you will enjoy it, too. Thanks for reading and commenting. :-)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

raluca_mihaila wrote: ↑22 Feb 2021, 11:32 It seems like an interesting read! Thank you for your recommendation! I enjoyed reading your thorough review.
Thanks for reading. I'm glad you enjoyed the review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

irumva divin wrote: ↑22 Feb 2021, 11:32 i love the content mysteries with romance i hope i must find the book very soon and read it thank you for your honesty review
You will like this story. The mystery mixed with romance will keep you intrigued until the very last page! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARÄŚEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I would be suffering for the elderly whilst reading this book. Great review, very explanatory.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: ↑22 Feb 2021, 14:05 This definately seems like a great book to dive into. Thanks for the great review
Thanks for reading and commenting. I hope you enjoy the book!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Joy Phill wrote: ↑22 Feb 2021, 14:18 Seems like a book full of suspense. Murder mysteries can be so intriguing. Thanks for a detailed review.
This book will keep you guessing and turning the pages! Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”