Official Review: Gemini's Fury by C.E. Offord

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Spell Bound by Nikki Mose
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Gemini's Fury by C.E. Offord

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gemini's Fury" by C.E. Offord.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gemini’s Fury is a cozy mystery by C.E. Offord with a slightly supernatural twist that blurs the lines between fantasy and reality. After awakening from a horrible dream, Carly is met with the worst news of her life. Her twin sister has been murdered – exactly as Carly saw in her dream. Detective Jack Lawson is on the case, but there just isn’t any evidence to lead him to the killer. Having already lost both of her parents and now her twin sister, Carly is all alone and has no one to depend on except the detective. Carly begins having more visions of the killer that could lead to his capture, but Detective Lawson is suspicious. How does Carly know so much when he knows so little? Carly’s inside knowledge may bring the two of them together, or it could end up driving them apart.

The story is told in third person perspective, but readers are able to follow along with Carly, Jack, a local reporter, and even the killer. The killer is introduced relatively early in the story, and his motives, style, and personality are no secret to the readers throughout the book. Because of this, it is not a mystery about who killed Carly’s sister; it’s more about the path that Carly and Jack take in order to catch him. I think the story is just as much about the killer as it is about Carly and Jack, the main protagonists in the story.

Although the killer was probably the most interesting character in the entire book, knowing his identity took away from a lot of the suspense of the story. The ending was rather predictable, and even though this is a relatively short book, the pages seemed to drag on with unnecessary information and repetition, especially when following Carly and the emotions that she was dealing with after the loss of her sister. Although it was stated within the story that Carly was a strong, independent woman, her actions did not reflect this, as she was incapable of doing anything without her sister or Jack there to guide her.

In addition to the predictable ending, the insta-lust between Carly and Jack was also quite predictable. It was also extremely uncomfortable for me. It seemed inappropriate given the circumstances, and frankly, it just made Jack look just as much like predator as the actual killer. I had a really hard time connecting with Jack Lawson because his inner monologue toward Carly was just so creepy, and he took advantage of a woman in a vulnerable situation.

I didn’t necessarily dislike this book, but I really didn’t like it, either. Learning about the evil killer was really the only thing that kept me interested in the story. Overall, I give this book a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. It has a good foundation, but I think there is a lot to improve. It does not appear to be professionally edited, which also contributed to my lack of enjoyment. With some editing and proofreading, readers who have a soft spot for romantic mysteries will enjoy this book.

Gemini's Fury
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARČEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

It's a shame that the killer is revealed so early in the story. I agree with you that it takes away the suspense.
GreatReviews
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

The book's theem - the saga of the killer and the protagonists, actually intrigues. But I regret the fact that the book gives harder reading experience.
Dartemis
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: Superbugs
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: Flicker World by Brian Cramer

Post by Dartemis »

It is a shame that such an interesting idea was just horribly executed in practice. Thanks for the great review!
smolbird
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by smolbird »

It's always such a shame when a book's romance seems forced simply because they're 'meant to be'. Thanks for the honest review.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by WADonnelly »

It seems like this book doesn't quite live up to expectations. I also hate when a book is overly predictable as it makes for monotonous reading. Great and honest review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: The Long Utopia
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Seven Tiers by Mark Richards

Post by NetMassimo »

Revealing the killer's identity very early makes sense only if there's a dig into his/her psyche. This novel seems to have potential but needs some serious editing to develop it properly, possibly with the help of a professional editor. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”